New project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhitnee

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2015
Central Mass, USA
Just thought I'd share. Couldn't get to making my firepit this year but have this nice piece I picked up from the metal shop in town. Special order!

Fire rings sell online for a lot of money. I'm glad I was able to support a local business. This is much sturdier I'm sure- made of 3/8 inch steel, 30" diameter 16" tall. Perfectly round.

Beginnings of a great firepit. $70. Guess I'll clean it up with steel wool and spray it with stove paint. 20151013_183656.jpg

Just thought I'd share. Couldn't get to making my firepit this year but have this nice piece I picked up from the metal shop in town. Special order!

Fire rings sell online for a lot of money. I'm glad I was able to support a local business. This is much sturdier I'm sure- made of 3/8 inch steel, 30" diameter 16" tall. Perfectly round.

Beginnings of a great firepit. $70. Guess I'll clean it up with steel wool and spray it with stove paint. View attachment 163825
Drill some air wholes down low and you'll have a nice fire. :)

I was going to level the ground, dig down 4-6 inches, and put the ring in .I would put a layer of concrete down around the ring before laying the natural stones I have been accumulating from my yard. Maybe put some sand in between the outside of the ring and the stones for a heat shield to protect the rocks/mortar.

I was going to level the ground, dig down 4-6 inches, and put the ring in .I would put a layer of concrete down around the ring before laying the natural stones I have been accumulating from my yard. Maybe put some sand in between the outside of the ring and the stones for a heat shield to protect the rocks/mortar.
If you put that ring on the ground its gonna rust, doesn't matter if you paint it. What exactly are you doing with the stones? A patio area?

If you put that ring on the ground its gonna rust, doesn't matter if you paint it. What exactly are you doing with the stones? A patio area?

Stones are for around the pit only grass outside the stones. Was thinking maybe i should make the concrete base so the ring sits on the outside edges of it even with the ground.

Stones are for around the pit only grass outside the stones. Was thinking maybe i should make the concrete base so the ring sits on the outside edges of it even with the ground.
That ring is gonna slowly sink also. You should put some type of base under it. At least tamped down, with base gravel on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.