New Quadra-Fire 2700i Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrufflerJJ

Burning Hunk
Jan 21, 2015
Ohio
After having it on order since January 26, my local dealer finally got it in stock & installed today. I'm enjoying the learning curve.

I'm doing the first fire in the insert right now. After 2 hours of slowly ramping things up, my Condar Inferno "stove top" (OK, door-front) thermometer is cruising around 400-450 F.

It's cranking out the heat, which will be a GOOD THING, given the current 16F outdoor temperature & electric baseboard heat used in our 1100 sq ft single story ranch home.

For now, I'm burning ash (bought off Craigslist, moisture content on a split surface ~20-25%). I've got 3 dead or nearly dead ash trees on our property, and I'll give them a proper CS&S sendoff in a year or so.

DSC06532-edited.jpg

Looks good. I love mine. Small firebox but it can throw heat.

After having it on order since January 26, my local dealer finally got it in stock & installed today. I'm enjoying the learning curve.

I'm doing the first fire in the insert right now. After 2 hours of slowly ramping things up, my Condar Inferno "stove top" (OK, door-front) thermometer is cruising around 400-450 F.

It's cranking out the heat, which will be a GOOD THING, given the current 16F outdoor temperature & electric baseboard heat used in our 1100 sq ft single story ranch home.

For now, I'm burning ash (bought off Craigslist, moisture content on a split surface ~20-25%). I've got 3 dead or nearly dead ash trees on our property, and I'll give them a proper CS&S sendoff in a year or so.

DSC06532-edited.jpg
Nice looking insert. With the need to CSS any wood, now, or in the next few weeks, is the time to deal with those standing dead ash trees. It should give you some nice burnable wood for next season.

Yup...going to have them dropped before Spring.

Looks nice. I opted for the generic square door, and looking at the one you have that is definitely the way to go! I can see why I get soot buildup on mine due to the actual coverage of the glass over the doorway. Yours should work out great!

Looks like a perfect fit. Enjoy the new stove.

OK...so here we are, 5 days into running the new insert, and I've run into my first Quadra-Fire problem.

The blower motor has a switch that selects Auto or Manual mode. When delivered, the "auto" mode worked, which turned on the blower motor when the snap disc hit 125 F, and shut it off after the burn was done and the snap disc cooled to below 125 F. Now, the fan only works in "manual" mode.

I pulled the blower assembly off the insert, and removed the snap disc. Testing it using a multimeter, my high temp heat gun (for use with heat shrink tubing), an IR thermometer, and a short section of electrical tape (applied over the snap disc so I wasn't trying to scan a temp on a shiny metal surface...emissivity, don'cha know) shows that the snap disc closes around 122 F, and reopens when it cools down.

Doing an even higher tech test, I put the snap disc face down on the hot (~160 F) ash catching ledge (which sticks out of the insert below the door opening), and can hear the snap disc click when it gets hot, and click again when I remove it to cool it off. I also heard the disc snap a minute or so after I removed the blower assembly from the insert.

So with what appears to be a properly operating snap disc, any thoughts as to why the blower doesn't work? I'm guessing a defective manual/auto switch, but called my local dealer to send out a service tech under warranty.

Often this is an issue of the switch contact with the stove body. Usually there is a spring clip retainer. It may need to be bent slightly more to increase pressure of the face of the snap switch against the stove body. Also, on a cold startup the fan start up will be delayed until the whole body of the stove is warmed up. It takes longer for the bottom of the stove, but this is by design usually to stop the blower from coming on before the stove/insert is fully up to temperature.

I bent up the spring clip retainer to get even more goodlier (even more betterer?) contact between snap disc and stove body. I'm convinced that the snap disc is closing at the right temp, and it's pressing right against a part of the stove body that's currently ~160 F. I even heard the disc snap back open about a minute after I removed the blower assy from the stove.

And the blower didn't come on? If so look for a loose connection on the switch. Or the switch itself might be bad.

Nope, no blower. All the connections were tight. I'm guessing it's the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.