New Quadra-fire 4300 ST

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tallweeds

Sep 4, 2012
south central KS
I just had a new Quad 4300 ST installed. Is it OK to do break in burns now even though it's warm/hot outside? This will be my first wood burning stove experience. Is it a good idea to do a small fire first and then do a few hotter ones like recommended for other stoves on the forum? The manual doesn't really say anything about it. I've got pictures of install I will post up later.

Welcome Tallweeds. Congratulations. Just go ahead and burn in it as soon as it cools down outside a bit more. Plan on having the windows open when you get it above 500F stove top temp the first time. The paint needs to bake in. After a couple hot fires that smell and smoke will go away and then you are ready to enjoy a winter of warmth.

Reactions: PapaDave
Breakin went well. I ended up slowly getting it up to temp and burned all day. Smell wasn't as bad as I figured it would be but had windows open and fans running. Here's some install pics. Also, note to self, don't throw a 14" pallet pine 4x4 on hot coal bed!

IMG_4596.jpg

IMG_4599.jpg

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4614.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

IMG_4990.jpg

IMG_5000.jpg

Very impressive install. Handsome son, too. The stove is perfect for that room, and very attractive.
Happy burning, and welcome to the Forum.

Thanks. I got the outside painted and there's also been a roof brace added. Now I just need to get some trim installed on the hearth and it will be complete.

Great job! Congrats on the new stove.

Hey Tallweeds!

Stove looks great! I am picking mine up this weekend. Can't wait to fire it up. The stove has been sitting at the shop for the last month. I made the mistake of redoing my Hearth which turned out to be a much bigger project than I thought. I am about 70% done and hope to have it finished by this weekend. Glad to see you went with the step top and the legs as opposed to the flat top and pedestal. I love the classic look of the legs. I went with the all black look. I spent several months going back and forth between the Quad and the PE Summit. I thinking I will be happy with the Quad. Anyway, keep me posted on your experiences that way I can learn from your, what I hope to be, total successes. Enjoy the new stove

Very impressive install. Handsome son, too. The stove is perfect for that room, and very attractive.
Happy burning, and welcome to the Forum.

+1

Great job with the siding.

Living room looks mighty cozy...

Very Nice:eek:

Very nice setup.

I originally wanted the PE Summit too but it was just going to cost too much around here. I got a much better deal on the Quad. I was leaning towards the pedestal and just getting started as cheap as I could but wife liked this setup the best so I had to make her happy. Sure was a tough pill to swallow for those legs :eek: . Our house has a modern look to it so this really fits in well I think, although there are other stoves that would fit in even better but I don't think you could cook on them if one needed to. I wanted a more elaborate hearth but there was really only one place to put anything in the basement and this was it, and it had to be an outside chimney. I had to compromise a lot regarding my true tastes and wants but ultimately achieved the true goal.

The hearth pad is 4'x5' and is 2x6s on end with 3/4" plywood on top and 1/2" backer board on top of that and then tile.

Had to get the door exchanged because it was not square/level. With the trim on the door it really stood out, it looked crooked. The top door hinge hole was bigger than the bottom one and it caused the door to be crooked. The new door is much better, but I think may still be off a tad, but I can live with it.

The startup air/rear air control lever was bent where the knob is and when worked dug into the label. I straightened it out after I realized this and am now trying to get a new sticker from Quad.

Status
Not open for further replies.