New Quadra-Fire 5700 Creaking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

Fired up my new 5700. On it's third burn. Even running it at 400 degrees stove top temps, I can hear like metal creaks or snaps about every minute or two. Is this the stove still breaking in or just that there's so much metal surface area? I can't be over firing the stove at 400-450. I do run the fan, maybe that's constantly trying to cool stuff. Is it the nature of this stove to make little creaks? Anyone else with a 5700 hear the same thing. I am burning mostly white oak.

My Endeavor dings and ticks the whole time it's warming up and the whole time it's cooling down. This will be season 3 with no major issues. I think it's just part and parcel of having a steel stove. Now, if you heard something like a gunshot, that would/could be a weld popping. But just normal ticks and dings from heating up/cooling down will be par for the course. I've learned to just block it out.

Some of those noises never go away when heating a cool stove. Should stop once you've been burning around a steady tempature for a bit. Perfectly normal as things expand with the heat. Many diff brands do this and it is especially noticeable with most stovepipes and heat shields (steel and/or sheet).

OK, that's good to hear. Just want to treat the stove good. I had a steel Country stove S210 years ago that never made any ding noises at all. This being my second steel stove, I was a little concerned. Other than that it seems to work fine.

Yup. Heat can make metal talk a bit.

As mentioned hearing some creaking and snapping and ticking is normal with woodstoves . . . usually when heating up and/or cooling down. My wife says the sound of the creaking and snapping when the stove is warming up is the sound of "heat" which to her is a good thing.

Once you start burning 24/7 you wont notice those temp noises.

Status
Not open for further replies.