New Quadra-Fire Mt Vernon E2 question(s).

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vrf201

Dec 24, 2014
Va
Hi and Hello to all!

First time posting here. I just received and had my new E2 installed last Friday (love it), but I have a few questions.

1. The hopper is suppose to hold up to 47lbs, but even when it stops (unit is empty) I can not get a whole bag into the hopper. Am I missing something? Does the auger hold a few pounds?

2. I notice alot of ash along the top of the glass (light in color, gray, brown), but the unit does not smoke and appears to be running fine. There is little or no ash in the clean out pan. Is this normal?

Current pellets - Walmart brand (I know not the best ;em), have better ones coming.

Thanks!

Signed new pellet stove owner!

-Roy

The key words there is up to 47. I'm sure if you mixed em around a bit, they would settle some, and then could get more in. All depends on the pellets and their size. If the ash is inside on top of glass, not to worry. Ash will blow around inside firebox. The amount of ash inside ashpan depends on how much you are burning and using the stove, and manually dumping in it. The stove will purge every 50 minutes, to clean firepot. kap

Last edited:
The key words there is up to 47. I'm sure if you mixed em around a bit, they would settle some, and then could get more in. All depends on the pellets and their size. If the ash is inside on top of glass, not to worry. Ash will blow around inside firebox. The amount of ash inside ashpan depends on how much you are burning and using the stove, and manually dumping in it. The stove will purge every 50 minutes, to clean firepot. kap

Thanks kappel15 for the reply back.

I'm sure it,s just a learning curve for me. Enclosed a picture of what it looks like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 256
Glass looks a little dirty, but depends on how long it has been burning since cleaned. May want to read owners manual to be sure you have settings right. Looks good. kap

Glass looks a little dirty, but depends on how long it has been burning since cleaned. May want to read owners manual to be sure you have settings right. Looks good. kap

kappel15 the glass gets that way in about a day, day and half.
It never gets darker, stays that way. Does clean up easy.

The unit is currently set at -1 for air. Do you think it needs more or less air?
Of course it could be poor pellets?

Thanks!

-Roy

You're settings will depend on fuel (all pellets are different, even in the same brand), and outside temps and moisture, if you have an oak. You just have to experiment. The stoves do like colder weather. Also depends on tightness of house, whether you have an oak or not too.kap

Thanks kap!

Sorry, what is OAK? It is connected to a system that goes to the top of the chimney.

Merry Christmas!

-Roy

Thanks kap!

Sorry, what is OAK? It is connected to a system that goes to the top of the chimney.

Merry Christmas!

-Roy
Oh, boy - Here we go....

An OAK Is an Outside Air Kit - a way for your stove to pull combustion air directly from the outside so that you do not use your already-heated (and possibly humidified) air for combustion. You install it when you do NOT wish to just flush your money away while simultaneously making your home drafty and less comfortable. Some dealers will tell you that you do not need one. I would not let such a dealer install my stove. Some on here have a different opinion about OAKs, which continues to amaze me.

Search for the phrase "OAK" and you can spend hours reading about it here. Probably the biggest area of confusion in the pellet world, unfortunately.

What he said. Also known as a far (fresh air kit). kap

To get a whole bag in you need to reach in and push the pellets to the back of the stove--get your arm in there and you'll get the bag in.

The grey ash eyebrow is normal--will wipe off with a damp paper towel when the stove is cool for cleaning. I get one no matter what brand I burn.

Thanks kramerica72.

Yea, just getting the feel of how to use it and what is normal.

I'm loving the E2 with the thermostat. Wife loves it to.

-Vrf201 (Roy)

The thermostat is great. My only complaint is its limited range. I mounted mine on a wall in the next room only to wake up to a cold house. Apparently the range is only 15 feet or so (I was about 20). Other than that, I've run 2 tons through her without a whimper-

kramerica72

Here is my setup.

-vrf201 (Roy)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 195
Beautiful! Hope the stove gives you years of trouble free inexpensive heat!!

The thermostat is great. My only complaint is its limited range. I mounted mine on a wall in the next room only to wake up to a cold house. Apparently the range is only 15 feet or so (I was about 20). Other than that, I've run 2 tons through her without a whimper-
Is your thermostat wireless? Mine is wired, I thought the only option. It's mounted on ever side of the mantle.

Yes, the E2 switched to a wireless t-stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.