new rack w/ top cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brakatak

Jul 1, 2013
SE Mass.
Two rows with space for air flow. (12'x5').
actually kinda like this better than my wood shed and cheaper too. more air flow, but more open to the elements.

Attachments

• rack1.jpg
    rack1.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 266
  • rack2.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 254
You got some big a** splits in those rows. What kind of wood is it? Good idea with getting that airflow through the stacks. Not so sure your bottoms will have the same MC as your top pieces come burn time. I'm the same, I only cover the tops, the rest is exposed.

Nice Rack! You could always drop a tarp on sides once it is dry and before the wet season starts.

Two rows with space for air flow. (12'x5').
actually kinda like this better than my wood shed and cheaper too. more air flow, but more open to the elements.

brakatak, those racks look really nice and will work better than the shed because of the air flow. The only problem I see is that wood will not be good for burning this winter. Oak takes a long time to dry out. We wait 3 years on it here.

brakatak, those racks look really nice and will work better than the shed because of the air flow. The only problem I see is that wood will not be good for burning this winter. Oak takes a long time to dry out. We wait 3 years on it here.

ya, thats all oak. i would hope to burn it next year but thats probably wishful thinking. probably only have enough space to get 1 year ahead, instead of the preferrred 2 years ahead. have 5 cords split and stacked right now and expect to burn 2-3 this year (my 1st year).

Correction. 3 years ahead is the ideal. For sure if you can store only a year, stay away from oak. You'll know better next spring on how much to plan on but still, most folks in their first year will burn more than normal. So if you get by with 3 cord in your first year, you can figure on perhaps 2 1/2 cord for the following years or even perhaps less. Good luck.

I've only been burning a few years, but have read a lot on here about drying times. I'm fortunate enough to have a variety of wood (poplar, striped maple, hickory, red oak, locust). I started drying some of each 2-3 years ago. All of it is ready to burn (stacked like yours: two rows, covered but not enclosed), except the oak. It has at least another year to go, maybe two. The other wood burns like a dream... easy to start, hot fires, long-lasting burns (the hickory and locust longer than the other, of course). I keep trying the oak, but it is terrible: difficult to start, hard to keep hot, and very short burns with lots of unburned coals.

I urge you to check out alternatives to depending on oak which has only been drying for 1-2 years.

I built couple racks very similar to that, but only single row & 7' tall. They worked pretty good, till the wood fell over :rolleyes:. Hope you have better luck/skill :)

Thanks for the pictures, great to see everyone's wood storage designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.