New renovation to small cabin in PA - new stove needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nittanyjd

Oct 12, 2016
PA
Hi – new poster here and have read some great posts, but still want to ask. I am having my small cabin 750 sq ft renovated and has been gutted. They are doing foam insulation in ceiling and walls. Floor is concrete. New doors are insulated, windows are not. Ceiling is being opened up to about 15 feet in height. I have a monster Red Cross stove in there now I’m guessing from the 40’s. Need a smaller stove with the new upgrades and really like the Jotul F45 Greenville, but salesman thinks the F3 would be enough. One is 1200 sq ft and the other is 1500 sq ft I recall. What I don’t like is the small firebox 1.1 cu ft vs 2.2 I believe. I was all set to purchase a Quadrafire 2100 millennium, but like the cast iron looks more. The stove will get used mostly in fall and late Nov during hunting season, but is used year around. The stove in there now was load it up and let it go and she kept things very warm, but I had no insulation either. Is the F3 too small if I leave for a good part of the day hunting or overnight? Just seems like a small stove is a constant feed and small wood pieces to split.
Any advice or what do you guys think about size or recommendation of a stove to look at?

Thanks

With spray foam walls and ceiling a 1cu stove will certainly be adequate for your small cabin. Spray foam is an amazing insulator. It will retain the heat of the small stove long arter it goes out.

If the place is going to be cold and relying on the the stove to bring it up to temp then go with the F45. The F3CB has a small firebox. It will work, but you will be reloading frequently. IIRC the F45's is closer to 1.7 cu ft in usable firebox space. 2.2 cu ft may be the entire firebox volume including over the baffle.

Build smaller fires in milder weather. If it gets too warm, open a window.

Reactions: jotulguy
Thanks for the replies. One salesman spent a lot of time with me and said everything both of you did. Leaning towards 45 Greenville.

Definitely the Greenville. The little F3 is a tough dude, but his firebox is smallish. The F45 will be easy and quick to start, get up to temp and work. It can be ran milder on warmer temps too...

I just burned my new TN-20 for the 3rd time all night and it is really performing well with 8hr burn time and thats with poor wood, meaning just maple and birch type wood.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are going to lose a lot of heat through that concrete floor. I am a carpenter so I want to install some 2x4s on edge, like joists, and lay that foam in there and put a plywood floor on it.
But, I am a carpenter. I guess the easiest thing would be to use thick rugs.

I just burned my new TN-20 for the 3rd time all night and it is really performing well with 8hr burn time and thats with poor wood, meaning just maple and birch type wood.
Looking good. Maybe start a thread telling us your experiences heating with the stove as the weather gets cold.

While everything is under cons, pick your location for the stove and pre install an OAK, also and just my preference, I'd go with the 2.2 cu box, just make smaller fires if it gets to warm in there.

Here’s an update and thanks for all the valuable input. Very helpful in this decision. I decided on the F45 Greenville and very happy I did. After I did the temper burns I spent the night and enjoyed a nice warm night. A much more even heat and a LOT less wood than my old stove from the 20’s. The concrete floor is being covered this week so hoping that will help because as of now it takes a day or so to get it up to room temp. Last few nights were in the teens and it perform great. The foam insulation is awesome in keeping the cabin warmer longer. What a difference from where I was a year ago. Safer and warmer! It definitely likes dry wood which is all I have. If I fill the firebox in the evenings I have a very warm stove even with the damper all the way down so still working on getting used to it. During the day I only feed one piece at a time. Other than that very easy to control and feed. Cannot say enough good things so far. Picture attached of installed stove with double wall pipe. Thanks again for the feedback.

F45.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking installation and stove. It's great to hear that the F45 is working out well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.