New rig (to us) and time for shells again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks troops.

Thanks Smokey for the kudos.

No dissing meant by the "newbies" comment.

My post was done on a quicky and I just assumed all readers would know what I (We ) do here :)

For those who have not read many past posts of mine, I used to be in heavy dump trucking and would fetch a load of shells with the big rig and fill my storage barrels from the ditch gate on the back of the rig.

A stroke back in Aug 2012 changed things a bunch.
We sold the big rig and I retired early.

The stoves still needed to be fed, and a new way to get shells had to be found.

We procured the dumpster from the manufacture, which is about 50 miles away.
The unit we got was made wrong and would not hook on a garbage truck so it could be emptied, and was to be scrapped.
We paid a minimal charge to get it as is.

For our purpose, it's perfect.

As far as the Burb goes, the rig had been listed for over 6 weeks on Craigs list, with no takers.

A 454 POWERED Burb is not a bell ringer on the used market any longer, especially as a daily driver/status symbol.

The PO did replace it with a newer one with the huge 8.1 L engine to pull his trailer.

He just wanted the 95 gone.

We do use some pellets here as well.
To start the fire in the 2 Whits, and in the Quadrafire 1000, as it's auger does not feed the shells well.

Many alternatives can be used in pellet stove, such as the shells, corn, various pits, pelletized grass, leaves, paper/cardboard
yada yada yada.

WE learned of the nut shell thing back in 1992 and decided to try it.
We bought a small Earth stove traditions and heated a 1300 ft house for $50 a season.

When we built the new place in 93 here at the ranch we installed a large Earth Stove pellet stove.

In recent years I installed the 2 Whitfields and run them as singles or in tandem depending on the heating needs.

My cousin is in the final stages of Stomach Cancer and has a short time left.

He is a Vet and is in the Vet Hospice.

Things have reached a plateau now and the hard work of cleaning up his estate are complete.
Just time to enjoy his last days with us.

The pellet stove thing and nut shells are a daily way of life around here from fall till late spring.

Haul them in, get them barreled up.
Screen them into 6 gallon pails ( make sure there are no sticks or)
Pack them upstairs.

The shells produce about 3 times the ash of wood pellets, but more BTU's

Keep the stoves full round the clock, as we heat 100% with the stoves and do not use the Electric heat at all.

The Quad is basically used now as either a Quickie (I don't want to build a fire) or as a stand by if we must leave overnight.

That's about the long and the short of it.

Keep your pellets/shells dry:)

Snowy

Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
I always wondered how the other fuels burned in a multi-fuel pellet stove. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry to hear about your cousin. My grandfather went through that. It was very difficult. He hung in longer than they expected.

I am sure your cousin is at ease about his estate affairs. Remember to enjoy the simple things in your time left together ... I had to leave Mom to return to my children but my older sister watched an old black and white movie with Mom that evening - something they both enjoyed. She was gone just before my other sister came in early the next morning. Knowing my Mom, if she had control left over the timing of her passing, I would suspect that this would have been her preference so as not to unduly stress her children...

Tough times for sure.

Good to see you back Snowy. Sorry to hear of the family problem.

Thanks Arti

Just part of life.

I think its so cooool that you burn shells. It makes us pellet burners seem so boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.