new rope gasket for adjustable door.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warno

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2015
illinois
My dad's wood stove needs a new door gasket. It uses a 1" rope on an adjustable door. He's out of adjustment and it needs replaced (leaking). I'm wondering what the best way to replace the gasket is?

Do I set the door spacing at 1" for the new rope or a little tighter?

After getting all the old rope and adhesive out, do I apply a thin layer of high temp silicone then the new rope and close the door for 24 hours? This is what I have read else where, I just want to know of this sounds right.

Last edited:
What kind of stove is it? I would get the OEM gasket, that way you know it's the right size. I use the copper-color gasket silicone from the auto parts store that's rated for 800 intermittent. Lay the gasket evenly, don't stretch or bunch it up.

Not sure on the brand of stove. It does take a 1" rope seal though. I'm just wondering about the adjustment settings on the door for the new rope. Do I need to set it at 1" or more like 7/8"? How much will the new seal squish with the door shut? I have never replaced one before.

Last edited:
Not sure on the brand of stove. It does take a 1" rope seal though. I'm just wondering about the adjustment settings on the door for the new rope. Do I need to set it at 1" or more like 7/8"? How much will the new seal squish with the door shut? I have never replaced one before.
You want to make it tight. You can use a dollar bill or piece of paper. Close it on it, the door should shut, but the dollar bill shouldn't pull out.

Reactions: Owen1508
quick question for you guys. Does this door look like its leaking. Brand new stove this year, since they installed it i havent been sure about those pieces of white tape(?) on the ends where the gasket meets. I did the dollar bill test. (and have tightened the door a few times, right now it seems I cant tighten the bolt any more on the back of the handle. Dollar bill slips out with slight resistance, but can definately pull it out all the way. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6824.JPG
    IMG_6824.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 121
It looks like it is leaking a little where the tape is. And you will be able to pull out the dollar bill there should just be quite a bit of resistance

Reactions: teamblue0171
Status
Not open for further replies.