New saw 041

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbound

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2008
mid south tn
Got this while I was at the shop on Fri for $25.. The filter went bad and so did the P&C.. I do however have a line on a 041 that was smashed by a snag but still runs good...

Attachments

• DSC04611 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04611 (Medium).jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 422
  • DSC04613 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04613 (Medium).jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 430
  • DSC04616 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04616 (Medium).jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 422
  • DSC04618 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04618 (Medium).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 421
I see a drill press! Look out....... :)

southbound said:
comes in handy for the muffler mod ;)

You keep getting better....If I find a big block I am sending it to you for the rebuild! :cheese: 076 or bigger.

Old, heavy, loud. All qualities that I enjoy and this saw has them all. I own one of these and it has never let me down. It has it's own sound while idling Get it going!.With a new piston and a set of rings you should be in business. Best of luck, Ken

You won't need a muffler mod.....it came already done from the factory. Be glad it's the AV model, as the original farm boss variation will vibrate you silly. Great old saw though.

I have an early 80's 041AV, my dad bought it new, $359 in '82. Great saw, still has 160psi compression.
Plan on replacing it with a 360/361/362, but it just won't die.

Hi All
I'v got one of those in my project pile.Which got a little bigger last week,added a 044 in a box.
I'v got a couple of unidentified stihls that i have to post pic's,see if anyone can steer me towards a modle #.
Can't wait to see that one come to life.
Thomas

salecker said:
Hi All
I'v got one of those in my project pile.Which got a little bigger last week,added a 044 in a box.
I'v got a couple of unidentified stihls that i have to post pic's,see if anyone can steer me towards a modle #.
Can't wait to see that one come to life.
Thomas

Guess that saw... That's my favorite game!!!!

Had a nice old 041 AV myself, kinda liked it for the reasons stated above. old, heavy, loud, pretty much unkillable, but just didn't use it much. Sold to a buddy that lives in the burbs, he loves it. The neighbors all think he's got the biggest baddest saw going. One neighbor lady calls the cops every time he lights it up. He just laughs, as do the cops, as long as he's not past noise ordinance time.

The 041 is apart.. Cylinder looks to be fine but the piston is toast....

This may be a easy fix????

I will try to put up some pic's tomorrow...

Easy fix.

Personally, I'd probably pop off that ring and smack a new one on to see if that makes it run. Looks like that little fragment should chip off and underneath the ring seems to be clean.

The ole 41 is back and running!!!!!

$23 piston and rings from the bay did the trick!!!

The plug had no gap and the screws on the carb had been turned all the way in but other then that she runs fine...

Gonna try to get to the saw shop in the am and let my guy set the carb....

southbound said:
O and total cost was $75

Awesome how many hours it take?

Nice score.
I have the original 041. Still can't kill it have ~120 in mine. Its older than me kind of like my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.