New saw and splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiziksgeek

Burning Hunk
Jan 3, 2012
Oxford, CT
I was planning to upgrade my ~9 year old husquvarna 350 and was thinking of buying a log splitter vs. renting, but a recent event, the arrival of some large log length has made me move up my plans.

I am new to significant wood burning, but still only expecting to go through 2-3 cords per year. Never burnt more than a cord in any previous year. I bought some log length for the 2013-14 season hoping to get a head, and although the guy promised me there was nothing big in there, he dropped some logs up to 45" in my driveway last night!

Was originally planning to go with a 60cc saw, MS362 or Husky 562, but am now thinking maybe a 70 CC saw would be better MS441 or Husky 372. Anyone have a recommendation?

For a log splitter, again, I was originally thinking the 22 ton Iron and Oak, but if I occasionally need to split some big wood, should i go up in power? Again, most of the wood I will be working with will be 24" or less, but this log length delivery was a surprise, and I'll likely be helping out my parents, they have a couple big oaks that need to come down, 36-40" as well. Want something that tows fairly well.

No particular budget in mind. Would really like to stay under 4K for both, 3K preferable.

I get by with my 260 pro with a 18" bar and a MTD 20 ton 5 HP splitter. I don't have much issues bucking or splitting the wood i get. If the wood you are getting bigger you may need a 70 CC 24" saw and a smaller saw for every day stuff. Big saws drink gas and are heavy. Just make sure the splitter goes vertical. You will never lift 45" rounds.

IMO a 70cc saw is a better companion to a 50cc saw than a 60cc.

22 ton is probably plenty, but I wouldn't tow a splitter more than a few miles on smooth roads. There is no suspension on them. I always run them up ramps onto a trailer with a suspension and high speed tires.

My 21 ton MTD Gold has pushed through everything I have put in front of it.... There are a lot of happy 22 ton Huskee users here also. It does all jobs well..

As for the saw. The Stihl 441 or 460 is a saw that could tackle that Oak. Along with the 372xp or 576 xp Husqvarna.

Either one of the splitters above would work, along with any one of those 4 saws. Its possible to be in around $2,000 for both. Which is way under the 3k or 4k you mentioned. $999 for the Huskee splitter and about $1,000 for a good 70cc saw with 2 bars (20" for the regular stuff and a 28" or 32" skip tooth for the BIG stuff).

It could be $3,000 if you go way big on the splitter. But in my opinion, 20-27 ton does just fine.

The 372, 576, 441, 440, 460, 2171, 2172 and 7900 are all great saws

Try not to get carried away. There's ALWAYS one saw or splitter bigger. You don't want to gear up for 10 cord a year production if you'll only ever do 2 or 3 a year. Now.. if you're a tool nut.. and WANT pro gear.. go for it.

If the big oak is going to be a rare occasion... your TIME will allow a smaller saw like a 360 to do just fine. A rental here and there wouldn't be expensive. Look at the time savings vs cost. You labor isn't free... but then again you don't need to break the bank for a couple times a decade occurrence of big trees to buck.

JP

I have a Husky 365 x-torq and 27 ton troybuilt splitter. Less than $2000 for that combo.

Try not to get carried away.

JP

You been talking to my wife??

I hear ya. I took down a couple of ash trees earlier in the spring, ~18-20 inch diameter. I noticed the bar pulling heavy to one side making for an uneven cut. I figured the saw is getting to be ~10 years old, so I invested in a new bar and chain (1st new bar, 2nd new chain in its life). She cuts just fine in smaller stuff, but works real hard getting through the 18" ash. My original plan was to go up to a 60 CC pro saw. I think I should see a significant performance increase over the 10 year old 50 cc homeowner saw..?

Anyone have an opinion of the Husky 562 vs the MS 362?

I'll likely run a 20" bar, 99.9% of the time. Would be nice to have a 25" bar as an option for the occasional big log.

I hear ya. I took down a couple of ash trees earlier in the spring, ~18-20 inch diameter. I noticed the bar pulling heavy to one side making for an uneven cut. I figured the saw is getting to be ~10 years old, so I invested in a new bar and chain (1st new bar, 2nd new chain in its life). She cuts just fine in smaller stuff, but works real hard getting through the 18" ash. My original plan was to go up to a 60 CC pro saw. I think I should see a significant performance increase over the 10 year old 50 cc homeowner saw..?

I'll likely run a 20" bar, 99.9% of the time. Would be nice to have a 25" bar as an option for the occasional big log.
Those are both good saws. I would go for the 562. These new autotune saws are beasts. The 562 feels better IMO. Go handle both, then buy the Husky;)
If I were only going to have one saw, it would be a 562xp

My Brother in law has the 562xp and I have an 036 (360). They are both fantastic saws. But the difference between them and my MS 460.. Night and Day.
His 562xp is nice..... Runs strong and revs high. But can be a PITA to start. 2 weeks ago he came over and we were gonna do some cutting. My old 036, fired with the 4th pull (2 on full choke, 2 on half) and we had to remove his spark plug and "dry" out the cylinder because it was flooded. All my Huskys start easily. But that one is definitely different. Runs great... But cant adjust anything to make it start or run bettter (auto).

Cant go wrong with a 036/360/361/362 or the 562xp. Its gonna be a noticeable difference, compared to your 350. But I wouldnt pull anything bigger than a 24"-25" on those saws. They will handle most of the wood encountered. But to pull a Big Bar, there is no replacement for Displacement ;)

As noted above, a 70cc and a 50cc will make a good combo. But a good 60cc (or 59 ;) ) is also a vast improvement. Will cut some cost and allow for a smaller budget (Wife always likes that!).

I have a 50cc saw with a 20" bar and a 40cc saw with a 16" bar. Didn't plan it that way, just happened to inherit them. We used to own a 70cc saw with a 28" bar, but that was stolen years ago. I can tell you this:

1. I always grab the 40cc saw first, unless I need the 20" bar. It's just lighter, quieter, and safer (because it's lighter and I get less tired using it).

2. A 25" bar is going to be no fun on a 50cc saw. I'd be buying 60cc's or larger to run that bar.

3. I would also look at a 70cc saw as a better companion to a 50cc, if that's what I already had.

Most of my cutting is done with the stihl 390 with the stihl 310 used for a second saw. That 22 ton should split any rounds you have.

zap

Iron & Oak Splitters available at great prices here: http://www.buyacehardware.com/vertical-horizontal-log-splitters.html

Highly recommend the Subaru engine option. On the 26 ton splitter. 22 ton is a great machine but IMO the 26 offers the most favorable combination of power/performance/price.

+1 on the suggestions to a 70cc saw. If you already have a 50cc machine then a 60cc saw will be a minor improvement.

Might I suggest the Stihl 441 M-Tronic?

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS441CM.html

$900 saw +$2100 splitter = $3000 worth of equipment that will eat up anything you're eyeing up to throw in the stove.

Leave's plenty of room for accessories and safety gear too. Extra chain(s) for the saw, Chaps, Helmet, etc.

Since you mentioned it:
Husq 562:

PN# 966 57 03-06 ------ 24"...... $760
That's the saw I'd buy if $$ wasn't the issue.

Splitting big wood & lots of it, 26/28 ton speeco or iron & oak. ($2200)
The 20/22 ton splitter split big wood, Some of the gnarly knotty stuff may be too much though.

$3,000.00 sets you up pretty nice to cut 2 - 3 cords of wood per year.
@ 3 cords per year, $200 per cord over 5 years, just in equipment cost. ;)

Now if you treat it like Hunting (guns/ATVs/hunting cabin costs), Fishing (boats/motors/motor homes) & other fun hobbies, it changes the formula.
wood cutting is cheaper . LOL :)

i love my ms362. it cuts extremley well, i can only compare it to an 025 and 290. it cuts on another level than those two saws do.

hahahaha, getting carried away is fun....look at my signature and I cut about 3 or 4 cords a year. Most of the time one of the mean little top handles is all I "need". Heating with wood is a lot of work and saves money, might as well have good equipment.

Reactions: DexterDay
I just picked up a 562 xp with a 20" bar. First time out, I buried it in oak. All that I have to say is hang on. You can actually feel the auto tune compensating in the cut. I cut for about an hour until the recoil exploded. My other saw is a ms310 and while a good saw there is no comparing the two. I was looking at a 362 or 441 as well but like the size and weight of the 562.

There are a lot of deals on good equipment if you have time. I picked up our huskee 27 ton splitter in like new condition off a guy for $550. He had some health issues and could nt cut anymore.

I to thought "you maybe getting caried away" But to each his own.
I don't know your saws original power, but it sounds like it is getting tired. Of course you know a dull chain will make crooked cuts. The key is razor sharp chains all the time. 2 chains in 10 years dosen't sound good to me. I do 2 chains a year. A new chain on my 10 year old Stihl and the saw cuts like it did when it was new. I have no problem pulling the 18" chain fully buried in oak. I thought the pro version was worth the extra money.

If you tow the splitter make sure you put in a gas line shutoff and run the carb out of gas. The bouncing will run the gas in the bowl into the cylinder causing hydrolock. Don't ask how I know.

The 350 was used occasionally over the years, spurts here and there. Much more in the past couple years. It stated cutting very crooked, so I replaced the chain first. Still cut crooked, so I replaced the bar. I know you can dress the bar to true it up, but probably beyond my skill, and bars are not that expensive! Cut nice and straight, and still decent for what it is, but try to bury it in a 16" ash, and can't put any real pressure on it at all or it just stops the chain...

So I ended up buying a 562. Had been there before, but went back to the dealer and held the 562 and the 372. The 372 just felt big, and although useful right now, it would be way overkill for 99% of what I do. So to save a couple pounds and dollars, I went with the 562, stuck with the 20" bar. Going to hold off on a larger bar until I run into something I really just cant cut any other way. Already ran a tank through it!! Much more power, runs nice and smooth, cut at least 1/3 of the stack, small stuff and a couple of the bigger logs up to ~32 inches, no problems at all. Used the money saved to pick up a 60" cant hook....can't believe I didn't buy one before!! With a little luck, I'll get it all cut this weekend.

saw.jpg

Reactions: DexterDay
The dealer I go to sells Timberwolf splitter...had a TW-P1 and a TW-5 in the show room. Both looked awesome, just dreaming really. One of the local rental places has a 26 ton Iron and Oak splitter for ~$90/day. So I think I will get everything cut up and rent it for a day. Hoping I can get it all cut in a day with a couple helpers. Gonna hold off on buying a splitter for now.

Nice ;).... That is a Good saw. My 036 is a lil old and the new 562 will beat it in weight and quickness in the cut. Also a little sexy, I'm not gonna lie. My Bro-in-law is gonna get a 28" skip tooth for his, but currently has a 20" on it also.

Glad your happy with it..... It will handle 95% of anything you see.

(Click to enlarge)

2012-04-21_11-27-37_92.jpg

Great choice. Wish I was closer, I'd put a 24" bar on my 394XP and let you noodle those big rounds while I test drove the 562 ;lol

Reactions: Thistle
Sweet.
My guess is that you'll love running your new saw.
Gonna have to work hard to stop the chain in a 16" ash log. ;)

What kind of chain did they set it up with? & Did you get an extra chain thrown in with the deal?

I wimped out and went with the standard "safety chain" 3/8, .058, whatever comes in the "kit" ...this probably show my inexperience, but I guess I was thinking let me just go with the safety chain until I get used to the bigger more powerful saw. It seems to be working just fine for now! Starting to cut, most of the wood does not appear to be oak now, elm maybe?

He did give me a discount on the 60" cant hook, so I was not expecting a second chain thrown in.

What chain would you guys recommend for a experienced homeowner on a 20" bar with the 562?

If I get a 24" bar for occasional use on bigger stuff, what bar and what chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.