New Saw, looking for chains. Will this work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

av8roc

Nov 2, 2009
Long Island, NY
I just spent some time on the Oregon website and it looks like I need to use a "narrow kerf" bar with that chain.

Any other recommendations?

av8roc,
Why not just go to the dealer and save yourself some time (while supporting your local shop)? I can't believe chain prices will be all that different--my Stihl RSC was $17 at the dealer while eBay had if for $15 & shipping. In any case, I ditched the "safety" chain and got a full chisel and it made a world of difference.

Good luck,

S

thinkxingu said:
av8roc,
Why not just go to the dealer...
+1
Support the local economy.

LLigetfa said:
thinkxingu said:
av8roc,
Why not just go to the dealer...
+1
Support the local economy.

Well for one my job has me on the road most of the time, as we speak I am sitting in a hotel room in Sarasota. I like to do my homework online researching and getting advice from people with experience. From there I can walk into the local dealer with an idea of what to buy and what to stay away from. For example; I've heard Stihl chains are superior to Husqvarna but wouldn't my Husky dealer just want to sell me a Husky chain?

Basically I'm just trying to get advice on good chain. Forums like these allow for multiple sources of opinions and input while my local dealer only gives me one.

Sorry for fixating on the ebay source rather than the question. If you heard Stihl chain is superior, why are you looking at Oregon? I used Oregon for 30 years because that was what my dealer had before I moved here. Now this dealer sold me Stihl RS chain and I like so much more I'll just stick with it.

LLigetfa said:
Sorry for fixating on the ebay source rather than the question. If you heard Stihl chain is superior, why are you looking at Oregon? I used Oregon for 30 years because that was what my dealer had before I moved here. Now this dealer sold me Stihl RS chain and I like so much more I'll just stick with it.

I read that Stihl is better than Husky, not necessarily better than Oregon. I was just wondering what size I need and what people recommend. Thanks for the advice on the RS :)

Since I don't know what gauge chain normally comes on a Husky 445 with 18” bar or if the bar is even the original, we only have half of the needed info. It could well be that you might need a different bar. There are three common gauges; 050, 058, and 063.

I wonder though about the comment "The same high quality, full chisel chain that the professionals use" since the picture shows a reduced kickback design with guard links that generally reduce performance and so many pro's might avoid. That said, I don't advocate that you avoid reduced kickback chain. That is something only you can determine the importance of based on your use and skill level.

Here is a link to some Stihl chain.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/types.html

av8roc said:
LLigetfa said:

I read that Stihl is better than Husky, not necessarily better than Oregon. I was just wondering what size I need and what people recommend. Thanks for the advice on the RS :)

Husqvarna's chain IS Oregon, just rebadged. It is no better or worse than Stihl, just different.

Call up Bailey's or TreeStuff, buy a few loops of a suitable chain, and be done with it. eBay is not a good place to buy chain, and even less so when you don't know what you're looking for.

You're likely using .325" pitch .050" gauge Narrow Kerf chain on your 445. I'm not a real fan of the NK chains anymore, and think you'd be happier with something like Oregon 20LP. It will work fine in a regular or NK bar, and is a breeze to sharpen wicked sharp by hand. Stihl chain is not as easy to sharpen by hand, in my experience.

computeruser said:
Stihl chain is not as easy to sharpen by hand, in my experience.
True, but it holds an edge so much longer and so needs fewer filings. I also believe the OILOMATIC design reduces wear.

av8roc said:
Well for one my job has me on the road most of the time, as we speak I am sitting in a hotel room in Sarasota. I like to do my homework online researching and getting advice from people with experience. From there I can walk into the local dealer with an idea of what to buy and what to stay away from. For example; I've heard Stihl chains are superior to Husqvarna but wouldn't my Husky dealer just want to sell me a Husky chain?

Basically I'm just trying to get advice on good chain. Forums like these allow for multiple sources of opinions and input while my local dealer only gives me one.

I hear ya... I'm on the road a lot also.. I don't really care much for my local dealers... un-less your spending $$$ they don't seem to care much for ya.

I do mail order with Amick's, or Baileys. I use LGX chain and like it a lot. (don't know if they make it in the .325 size).

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Oregon_Chainsaw_Chains_s/143.htm
http://www.baileysonline.com/

I agree on Bailey's or Amicks - I've had excellent luck dealing w/ Amicks, they tend to go above and beyond the call on customer service... One of the nice things about Amicks is if you get a bunch of chains they will save you a lot on shipping by stuffing as many loops as they can in one of those Flat Rate USPS Express Mail envelopes - I think it's 3-4 loops for $4.95 shipping...

Gooserider

Thank you for all the advice guys.

I got back from my trip last night so today I stopped by my local dealer. On his recommendation I bought a Stihl RSC series chain. While I was there I also picked up a scabber, file, and depth guage.

I plan on using the stock Husky (Oregon) safety chain for a few hours then switching to the new chain for comparison.

In my experience, there was no comparison between safety and RSC--in fact, my brother went out and bought a new chain after seeing mine run. I've yet to find a negative review of the RSC. Glad your dealer worked out this time.

S

thinkxingu said:
In my experience, there was no comparison between safety and RSC--in fact, my brother went out and bought a new chain after seeing mine run. I've yet to find a negative review of the RSC. Glad your dealer worked out this time.

S

Thanks man. I see you paid $17 for your RSC chain, my dealer charged me $23 for an 18". What size is yours? (Not really concerned about $6 but just curious)

I only have a 16" bar, but I know another dealer down the street sells the same chain for $20. I think the former is less expensive because he makes it on site as opposed to the latter selling it boxed from Stihl.

S

thinkxingu said:
I only have a 16" bar, but I know another dealer down the street sells the same chain for $20. I think the former is less expensive because he makes it on site as opposed to the latter selling it boxed from Stihl.

S

OK makes sense, thanks!

av8roc said:
I plan on using the stock Husky (Oregon) safety chain for a few hours then switching to the new chain for comparison.
If you ran the Stihl chain first, the Oregon wouldn't last ten minutes on the bar.

LLigetfa said:
av8roc said:
If you ran the Stihl chain first, the Oregon wouldn't last ten minutes on the bar.

Thats what I'm expecting but I want to have a baseline for comparison. Not only that but I figured I could use the Oregon to practice my sharpening technique when I take it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.