New Saw Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bears12th

Feb 28, 2008
Eastern Connecticut
In advance, thanks from a newbie in SE Connecticut just getting into the whole wood world.

I have a Poulan 14 inch, 33cc gas chain saw (poulan 3314 model). The pull cord was stuck and in order to get it out, I had to disassemble the whole contraption and the spring went flying out of it.

1) How do I fix this? Been trying and it is a toughy and I am about to give up and take it to a real man (ok, I suck), sometime in the near future. I need to fix it ASAP as I have a friend who just took down 6 oak trees of 70 feet each and I am going to go help cut wood tomorrow after I get off work for the Coast Guard and cutting as much as I can as they have promised me any wood I can carry. Better believe I am going to go to town.

2) So after giving up on fixing this, which is most likely what I am going to do, what chainsaw do I go out and buy for tomorrow's party with 420 feet of oak, god I love the way that sounds. I have the little Poulan, do I go larger? I am in an area where I won't be cutting my own trees, but maybe someday helping with friends and such to do a little wood work around their yards. I don't think I need the biggest of the big, but what saw do I look to buy tomorrow in terms of a nice tandem saw with the little Poulan I got?

All suggestions welcomed. I have read some of the other posts in this gear portion of the forum and am still plugging away at them, but if anyone wants to lead me directly to the store to buy THE saw I need, hey, I love the ease of the computer.

Thanks for everyones help. This past March I put in the Jotul Winterport, too much fun working that hard to get it in, and already I figure I will break even after this year with the rate of oil going nuts. Got a little 1000 sq ft home (basement is partially finished, any ideas on how to get a little heat down there would be great too), that heats up to a cozy 75+ on nice cold days. I just love this wood burning stuff.

Anyways, thanks again for everyones suggestions in advance. Love reading you old-timers posts, you all are way way way over the edge with this stuff.....maybe that is why I am so jealous. I am getting started way to late in my addiction to wood.

Go Bears!!!

I could tell you my personal preference of brand, make and model but that wouldn't do you any good. So here is my advice:

Go to your local shop and talk to the sales rep. Buy the saw you feel comfortable holding with a price you can manage. If you're not going to be cutting much wood I would definately let price be the deciding factor but...I firmly believe in supporting the local community and if it cost $20 more than at on of those big chain stores than so be it! It's money well spent! Just my humble opinion. Hope you find a saw that suits you and your needs.

For what it's worth, I just bought a saw last week based on personal preference, reviews and advice from this and other sites. I got it from a dealer on the RI/CT. I have not used the saw enough to say I like or not. It's a much smaller saw than I'm used to running but for the house I couldn't see getting anything bigger for 4-5 cords a year.

I agree with Backroads on buying local. Everyone has a prefered brand (cough cough... Stihl... cough). If you want to do your homework first before finding a shop- I think that the major quality brands have recommendations on their sites about what you might need. Husqvarna has a section on buying saws and the different types. Stihl has a tool where you put in what you will do, and it spits out saw suggestions. Even if you don't buy one of these 2 popular brands, you can find something comparable and cheaper with those guidelines.

Bears12th,
Depending on your budget and dealer location....I live in Northeastern CT and picked up a Dolmar 5100s about 6 weeks ago for $379.00.
I just put the saw to the test on a grapple load of hard stuff...like Pignut/Shagbark hickory Red/White oak ect (very easy to handle and very good vibration reduction.) The Dolmar cuts circles around my craftsman 42cc and my buddies Poulan 46cc saw. There is no doubt in my mind that if you took 2 guys with my craftsman and my buddies Poulan I could out cut them with my 5100s hands down. Compared to the
STIHL MS290 and MS310 (same price range) the Dolmar 5100s has the same horsepower and is lighter. Dont get me wrong STHIL makes a nice saw.....but pick up
and handle the Dolmar and then do the same with the MS290, MS310...big difference.

Dolmar 5100s
11.2 lbs
50cc/ 3.9 Horsepower

My 2 cents

WoodButcher

I picked up a Husky 353 a few weeks back - 50ish cc and an 18 inch bar. Light enough to do small stuff and absolutely rips through the big stuff. Go to your local shop and talk to them. getting a stihl or a husky is the way i would go. See if you can get them to throw in an extra chain or two.

Fixing those springs is a royal pain in the rear. There is no better way to empty the lawn and garden section of the shop than to bring one of those in. My coworker and I scatter like cockroaches.

I get it wound up as tightly as possible, considerably smaller than what I need, then grab it with needle nose pliers just so, and carefully put it back in place. My hands are usually throbbing by the end, and it takes me a few tries. I hate it. Just go buy a new spring, because it's probably pre-wound and in a little "holder" thing.

[quote author="Adios Pantalones" date="1213981122"]Everyone has a prefered brand (cough cough... Stihl... cough).
LOL, I didn't want to say it...

both the 353 Husky and the 5100 Dolmar are excellent saws.so is the NE 346xp from Husky.no matter which one,you need to see Brad at Curtis outdoor power on RT 6 in Brooklyn CT.

There is a Solo dealer somewhere in NE CT (sorry don't know exactly where as I was told by a logger I know). I picked mine up from Bailey's and it has a 2 year commercial warranty so they are made to work.
Just another log for the fire.
I have Stihl, Husky, and Solo, can't say anything about Dolmar.
Chad

computeruser said:
Something in the 45-50cc range with a 16" bar, weighing 9.5-11lbs, should do nicely.

AGREED ! !

And to save a bit on the cost, Dolmar 5100s is what I'd suggest you get.

No better saw made for the cost.

If the 5100s & it's big brother the 7900 would have been on the market when I bought my saws, they & not the Stihls would be in my sig.

My 260 is .6lbs lighter, but also .6hp less power than the 5100s. Both make great trim saws up to medium sized tree cutting saws. The Husky 346xp is another good choice, like the Stihl it's slightly lighter but also less powerfull than the 5100s.

Best of all the Dolmar 5100s offers the best bang for bucks of the 3.

And if this is to be your only saw the 5100s is a really GREAT choice for a man with one saw. Heck it is a great choice as the light saw for someone who'll have a second and larger saw.

I love my Dolmar 7900, which I got to be a BIG saw to go with the 36cc Pull-on that I finally got decent performance out of after barring it down to 12" (something I'd probably do with your saw as well B12) However I purchased it with the intent of having a saw that could handle ANYTHING that I got to throw at it, which means it's fun but overkill on most jobs... (it doesn't slow down with a 28" bar burried in a maple log - normally I run it with a 20" and watch it fall through the logs...)

If you are on a budget, go for whatever is cheap in the big-box stores, but expect it to weigh more and perform worse than a pro-grade saw...

If you want a saw that will last a lifetime or several, go for a pro-grade, probably in the 50-60cc range, w/ a 16-18" bar...

I would go along with the other reccomendations for the Dolmar 5100 - serious pro-grade saw, with lots of power for it's weight...

Don't forget the safety gear either...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.