1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New saw

Post in 'The Gear' started by Backwoods Savage, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I'd like a yellow chain for my 180!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. oldogy

oldogy Member

Loc:
    SE TN
    Many thanks for these saw reports. The oldogy may just have a slightly smaller saw in his future.;)
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. mecreature

mecreature Minister of Fire

Loc:
    indiana

that fence post ended up in the back of my truck. ::P

for my small saw I got a refurb husqvarna 435, tips the scale at 9.2 lbs with 40.9 cc's. It seems to be a good saw for the price. I had the stihl dealer make a yellow stihl chain for it. Its fun to run. I probably ought to richen it up a bit but I like the way it runs now. Don't want to mess it up.
  4. rudysmallfry

rudysmallfry Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Milford, CT
    I'm so glad to hear an experienced user likes that saw cuz I just got the MS-180 with the easy start. It's my first chain saw. I wanted something light and easy to operate on smaller logs. I recently scored a lot of oak and some of the rounds are pushing 12"s. I was concerned that I didn't have enough saw for them, but it sounds like maybe I do. Stupid question. How much cutting can you do on one chain without having to sharpen or change it?
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Rudy, don't worry a bit about cutting a 12" round. I cut a 14" ash and made a couple cuts on a 18" red oak and it did fine.

So far I've found every other tank of gas works out well for sharpening this little saw. Doesn't take long to sharpen it either.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Speaking of Jay, can't help but notice he has not been on the forum much lately. Any reason why?
  7. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    Yeah, I don't sharpen on the saw. I take the chain off and put a new one on when it is dull. How long a chain will last depends on whether you are cutting hard or soft wood. Generally, I find I can get a cord of hardwood out of a chain before it is cutting like poop. However, that is with an 18" full chisel chain on my MS261. With a smaller chain with less teeth, you might get less wood from a chain before it needs to be sharpened.
  8. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    When the cut takes longer and chips get small, out comes the file.
    Backwoods Savage and Thistle like this.
  9. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    He's around, he just posted in that 460 thread.
  10. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I had a 180 nice little saw with a small kerf does well. Now I have the 192t its just a 180 with a top handle. I use it alot.
    Thistle and Backwoods Savage like this.
  11. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

It my buzy time at work. + this firewood thing came full circle after putting in two epa stoves vs one wood furnace. I down 2 1/2 cords for the season. Lol (Last year and warmer I was down 6 cords by now) Hunting has been a big focus now. :cool: With my equiment it just does not take long to wrap up a wood season anymore.
    Thistle and Backwoods Savage like this.
  12. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    So, the wood stoves are giving you better heat than the wood furnace for less wood. Think I am down about 3 to 4 cords right now with the wood furnace and am debating putting a wood stove in the basement.

What kind of hunting are you doing? I used to be heavy into hunting before marriage, kids, and house. Did a ton of deer, dove, and waterfowl hunting from 1998 to about 2007. Actually went goose hunting yesterday, but cannot find a single buddy to go out with me tomorrow. Kind of insane.
  13. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    It takes both of them to keep up with the old furnace, but only did that a couple days so far. Deer hunting. I traded for a small camper and 4 of us work the state parks.
  14. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Glad to have you back Jay.
    smokinj likes this.