New saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigIron

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2014
Peru, IL
I was wondering if anyone has any reviews on the MS440? I currently own a MS362 and MS290 was thinking about trading in the 290? Is the 440 about the same as the 362 as far as balance and power? Bar length? Finally any prices on the 440? Thanks in advance...

Dave

The 440 is one of Stihls most popular saws. It's a step up from the 362 and will be a little heavier. It will have the older rubber bushings for anti-vibe, which isn't nearly as nice as the 362. Expect to pay around $500 for a decent used one.

What can the 440 do that the 362 can not?
In my opinion, go 660 and diversify the power range.
If you really need a big saw that is.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Not sure of intentions, but the 440 isn't much bigger than the 362. I own a 361 and if I were in the market for a saw to do things that the 361 can't, I would look at the 460 or 660 as the next logical choice. Just one dudes opinion.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Thanks I didn't know that the 440 and the 362 were of the same platform. Maybe i will look into the 660.. Thanks again

Thanks I didn't know that the 440 and the 362 were of the same platform. Maybe i will look into the 660.. Thanks again

As Jags said... Not sure as for the intentions...

Are you planning on cutting lots and lots of big wood?
For most of firewood gatherers a 270 will do the trick.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the 660. So I could say I have it, and use it once a year.

They are not.

The 440 is an older design. As someone mentioned it uses rubber for anti vibe instead of springs. The air filter and set up is also different and not as effective as the air filter and intake on the 362. Expect the air filter to get dirty much quicker on a 440. Check and clean it often.

I had a 440 for a few weeks that I borrowed from a friend years back and I would have to clean the air filter every day I used it. 3 or 4 oak trees and 6 hours of cutting and it was dangerously filthy. I don't remember much about the saw other than the annoyingly dirty air filter, but it was powerful and overall I remember liking it. On my Jonsered I don't even have dust on the air filter after the same amount of cutting. Just keep an eye on it if you get a 440. Don't want to smoke a motor because of dirt in the intake.

Yeah - not the same platform, but just a single step up in performance. Usually folks like a bit of gap between saw choices. Since a 362 can go up to 25" bars my next choice wouldn't be a saw that runs a 28", but probably more in line with something that can run 30+. Again - just opinion.

Yeah - not the same platform, but just a single step up in performance.

The 044/440 is desirable primarily because it's light for its displacement -- a significant step up in power without being appreciably heavier. The other models mentioned will all be somewhat less fun to tote around, but I agree there's no point in having both a 362 and a 440.

The 044/440 is desirable primarily because it's light for its displacement -- a significant step up in power without being appreciably heavier. The other models mentioned will all be somewhat less fun to tote around, but I agree there's no point in having both a 362 and a 440.
Poor wording on my behalf. The 440 is the next in line from the 362. Agreed that I would at least take two steps.

Reactions: Jags
If moving up in saw size go with the 660. It's the saw I run 99 percent of the time love it. Put a 25 inch bar on it and never look back. It's not much bigger than the 362 or the 440 more powerful but I don't think much heavier just my opinion. I use it for all my cutting until I get into the real big stuff. If cutting larger trees up its the way to go.

Reactions: TheBigIron
Status
Not open for further replies.