New Score: 5 miles away

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Augie

Feeling the Heat
Nov 8, 2012
North Of Canada
Spoke with the guy this evening, Said there are may other loads on the property

Looks interesting going to pick up a few loads tomorrow

3Ea3L33s75N55sd5q2d6afd1fc34246721dcc.jpg

3te3I33sd5s15F75qfd6af518bd369a211064.jpg

3t23I63s55L85I55tdd6a4b520e9dd6e11d2e.jpg

Reactions: HDRock
Looks like a good location & time of year for snakes :eek:

Might be quite dry
Looks like good solid wood .

Good luck

Reactions: TreePointer
We have eastern massasauga rattlesnake as our only poisonous snake.
They say that although drop for drop the massasauga’s venom is more toxic than the timber rattler, with a smaller volume of venom, their bite would probably not cause severe harm to an adult human. They live in swamps and the area this wood is in is a bit too dry. I will be keeping an eye out, and I have an epi pen just incase

Snakes live in my woodpiles, and I like it that way. While rattlers have been seen in the area, have never heard of any within some miles of me...Garters, milk, ribbon etc here. They eat the mice etc. In my experience, snakes leave when I approach. Have to make an effort to catch them. Give them a chance, and they slither away. Hope rattlers follow that pattern!

Nice wood find. Wish mine was that easy to access. I'm getting fed up with ticks.

No snakes in Alaska & I like it that way :) :eek:

One of the Reasons I really like Michigan, Big Freshwater Lakes, and the biting things(snakes,insects,critters) are all non letheal as long as you take care of the bite. Oh yea and the snow to play in and for keeping it cool to light fires!

One of the Reasons I really like Michigan, Big Freshwater Lakes, and the biting things(snakes,insects,critters) are all non letheal as long as you take care of the bite. Oh yea and the snow to play in and for keeping it cool to light fires!

Ditto for Maine . . . not having any poisonous snakes makes having black flies for a few weeks in the Spring almost tolerable.

Well, Just picked up a Half of a full cord. Bone Dry, Looks like Ill be able to grab another load or two, most in the pics was gone already, kind of a bummer, most of what is left is punky or infested with ants, if it was all good id have 5 full cord I think . Still going to get a cord and a half or so. Looks like a foreclosure, couple just got too old and couldn't take care of the place any longer. Tested it when I got home on a fresh split, testing out at 11% By the bark looks to be a mix of oak, maple, and ash
1016376_10151436544850976_161088052_n.jpg

OH OH OH everything that I thought was Maple is Hickory!!!!!!! Everything I picked up is Hickory or Oak all bone dry. Going back to get as much as I can now!!lol

Naawww just a bit buzzed. There is also a roll of 24" Tyvek that I was told I could snag for top cover!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.