New score what is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ggans

Oct 11, 2009
Michigan
My score today..

Attachments

• IMG_4130.jpg
    IMG_4130.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_4131.jpg
    IMG_4131.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 488
Black cherry. Good size! Can't you smell it?

I would not argue with you guys but I dont think so, this tree was 40 feet tall. No fruit. No smell of cherry at least I don't think so..

I agree, looks like black cherry to me..

Black cherry can get to 70 feet, so where is the rest of it???

No fruit can be for many reasons

I think your right. Pix on left Cherry on right new wood, Leaves look the same... Why would I even dought you guy's..

Attachments

• IMG_4129.jpg
    IMG_4129.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_4131.jpg
    IMG_4131.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 354
ANeat said:
Black cherry can get to 70 feet, so where is the rest of it???

No fruit can be for many reasons

Left the top 8 feet or so, will get the rest tomorrow. After that storm, or Cat 3 Hurricane here in Michigan there is more wood avil that I can Handel. Will be going back for more tomorrow..

Its good stuff no doubt. Dries fast, smells good, good to smoke (cook) with if youre into that or know anyone that is.

Ive got about a cord ready for the winter

I think it depends on the type of Fir but for a "softwood" its certainly good enough. The BTU can be higher than the Cherry if its Douglas fir but Ive never burnt any myself. I certainly wouldnt pass it up, there are many areas where fir is the predominate choice for stuff to burn

I would let the pine feed the bugs not my insert!

ggans said:
Thanks, I also Have a huge amount of Pine avil, should I get it all?

Personally I would save pine till last, If it was free and easy to get I would probably get it but if better stuff was available I would focus my energy on that

Yeah, going for the Fir tomorrow, same place thou. Where I shop also so each day another load, only 4 miles form my house.. Some say Pine is Ok .. Why not..

What does your stash look like and how much do you burn a year? Pine dries fast, I used a lot of it while I was working to get ahead. I have been walking away from it lately though.

I hate to walk away from anything, don't know how much I'll use but think I'm good for this year and next.. Pix tomorrow..

As mentioned when it comes to fir it really depends on the species . . . around here in Maine balsam fir is usually not used as firewood, but is harvested for the pulp and paper industries. Fir has sticky sap when fresh cut and tends to burn hot and quick. That said, if a fir is in my way I'll take it down and burn it . . . it makes good kindling and shoulder season wood when you just need a hot, quick fire to take the chill out of the Fall air.

Pretty much the same advice applies to pine . . . around here eastern white pine is generally taken for lumber . . . but again, I have no qualms about using it as firewood for use in the shoulder season, kindling or using it for my camping adventures.

Some folks may tell you burning pine in your woodstove will lead to chimney fires from excessive creosote build up . . . don't believe them . . . if your pine is seasoned properly and you're burning properly you'll do fine.

My Stash..

Attachments

• IMG_4133.jpg
    IMG_4133.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_4134.jpg
    IMG_4134.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_4135.jpg
    IMG_4135.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_4136.jpg