New score what is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are sitting on a couple cord, grab the pine. The big straight stuff splits pretty easy. It will keep the house warm and be ready sooner than just about anything else.

pix

Attachments

• IMG_4152.jpg
    IMG_4152.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_4151.jpg
    IMG_4151.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 188
That's funny, all your pics magically appeared around my post, forget the pine unless its big and straight.

I'll go after the Pine, but now the tree services are dumping wood chips here, they love it and so do I, got about 40 yards so far and that was just today.. That bad storm did me good...

40 yards is a whole lot o pitch forkin.

I've got one section where I use the loader and box blade but the rest of it is silage fork material. Its not too bad as I can back the trailer up to all of it except the rows in the garden. Its not quite your 40 yard delivery, but every once in a while one of the city guys loads the trailer with the payloader.

Pine is less dense than most hardwoods, and therefore lower in BTUs per volume. Also, there are a lot of oldtimers who will tell you that burning pine causes creosote in the chimney and leads to chimney fires. A third reason might be that Eastern White Pine, in particular, has a lot of sticky sap in some trees.

On the plus side, pine seasons fast, really isn't too far from the lighter hardwoods in energy content, and burns hot. I would take the pine after I had collected the denser woods. nothing wrong with pine in my opinion, but there are better woods out there (at least in this part of the country) so 'd pick the best first and work my way down the list.

I'm with ya on that. When I do burn Pine do I need to keep a better eye on my chimney? Clean it more often? I got all my Pine in the last few weeks so I wont be burning it until next year. Since I burn an old coal stove I will cut it into 6 inch lengths that are about 7 inches in dia.Maybe split them in half.. The bigger rounds I'll split into chunks..Then stack it on pallets. It should be dry by next fall. Yes my stove likes chunks of wood.. not splits..

Attachments

• IMG_3032.jpg
    IMG_3032.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 126
ggans, don't worry about pine clogging the chimney. It will burn as good as other wood without the problems old-timers like to tell about. As long as it is dry it will burn good. Just don't rely on it to hold long fires like in January when it it is 20 below zero with a 50 mph NW wind and you want to sleep all night.

Love that stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.