New scrounge - possible Holly but I'm not sure....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
Got a call for a neighbour who has had a tree cut down. He thinks its holly and wanted to know if i wanted it. I went yesterday and picked up 4 loads. I'm not too sure if it was holly or not but it was very heavy and very easy to split with the fiskars. I will put it with the rest of my stacks it should be good for 3 years time. Should be close to half a cord or more by the time i have finished.

The neighbour also mentioned he had a few gum trees if i wanted them. they have been felled but need bucking (is that the right term?) cutting into rounds. i don't have a big enough saw but its a good excuse.....

CAM00224.jpgCAM00225.jpgCAM00226.jpgCAM00228.jpg

Did you say you are getting a new, bigger saw ? :)

Nice looking wood. It's all BTUs. ;)

Looks like there is still leaves on the trees,
no frost yet ?
Mild winter so far ?

they have been felled but need bucking (is that the right term?) cutting into rounds.
I don't know the tree cutting term of for it. I cut the trees down & cut it into short 17" logs then split & stack it.
I think I felled the trees yesterday, bucked it today & I'll split the rounds tomorrow ? >>
Some politically correct tree cutter (lumberjack ) can help with the right terms. LOL :)

Looks like there is still leaves on the trees, no frost yet ? Mild winter so far ?
We don't get much frost up here. Down in the valley they have had a frost for a couple of weeks. not sure why we dont as we are a few hundred metres higher but we are covered by trees so maybe they give enough cover to stop the frost.

we have leaves on the trees all year round - they are not evergreen as in softwoods but its something to do with the Aussie climate some trees loose bark instead of leaves. i think it has to do with the moisture associated with the leaves i.e. they dont want to loose it :)

I think it has been mild - very mild if i compare to you guys but i am still burning 24/7 and will be for the next month or so. It will get into 50's during the day and 30 - 40's during the night. so far we haven't had to turn the heating on - in fact last night i had to open some windows as it got a little hot during the night.

Nice score, congrats on getting three years ahead!

Status
Not open for further replies.