New scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Augie

Feeling the Heat
Nov 8, 2012
North Of Canada
Spoke with a gentleman who has what looks to be a full two or three cord. He bought a house a few months ago, after they moved in they remodeled the house and removed a stove. He said previous owner told him the wood is 1-3 years CS&S. I'm picking up a load tomorrow, I'll post a pic. Hoping that because the previous owner had a stove it is all hardwood.

All he wants in return is that it is gone.

Happy times

good luck I hope you get the full 3 cords......that is a sick score

As do I. I'll only be paying for gas so it looks like $6 per cord plus time

Now that's a sweet score, a CSS score :) Cut Split & Seasoned
Don't get many of those,
get it before he changes his mind !

The pictures are going to be great ones .

Well I picked up about .75 of a cord. Unfortunately it was not what I was led to believe. LOL he is a younger guy and didn't know any better. Not mad just trying to decide if it is worth it to go back for the rest. I probably will though. It does infact look like at least 2.5 cords, but it isn't oak and it isn't seasoned. It is some kind of Maple but unsure about what kind. based on the leaves and twigs I'm leaning on black or red.
521523_10151149144560976_532704461_n.jpg

386083_10151149144870976_398483270_n.jpg

481603_10151149144980976_1690753576_n.jpg

Still a good score just not great.
Have fun splitting,
the drier it gets, the harder it might be to split

Looks like a useable scrounge!

An old coworker of mine let me know of a scrounge like this once and when I got there the wood was sitting out in the open and was all rotten! I helped him out anyways and took a load of it to the yard waste dump. I lost out on time and gas money but I figure they'll remember me for next time and I hope its in better condition!

I think that I have all I'm going to get. He just called and wants me to "do him a favor " and bring a couple of friends and move a hotub from the front yard to the back and hook it up......

It was a good .75 cord for $6.00 in gas and a bit of time. If anyone in metro Detroit want his contact info PM me. It is in Beverly Hills just off Woodward south of 14 mile. There is probably 1.5 to 2 cords left

I had a similar scrounge situation - Friend from work offers me free wood when he'd heard I'd gotten a wood furnace. He mentioned that it was part hardwood and part pine, both of which were removed from the yard, both seasoned. I told him I'd take the hardwood, but probably not the pine. Upon arrival I wasn't surprised that it was in rounds and not seasoned, but the "hardwood" turned out to be all black willow. <>

I loaded up some willow rounds to get at the pine, which I filled up with. It wasn't a very close scrounge and I ended up declining a second load.

I think that I have all I'm going to get. He just called and wants me to "do him a favor " and bring a couple of friends and move a hotub from the front yard to the back and hook it up......
LOL!

Maybe you can get some time in the hot tub?!

Status
Not open for further replies.