New shed....almost done.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RynoVT

Aug 1, 2011
N. VT
I looked here for ideas on building our new shed. Thanks for all the ideas. I figured I would post some pics of our nearly completed project with hopes that maybe someone else can use them. Now I just need to fill it.

8x20 with 2 foot overhangs.

Attachments

• IMG_5236.jpg
    IMG_5236.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 1,064
  • IMG_5237.jpg
    IMG_5237.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,089
  • IMG_5238.jpg
    IMG_5238.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_5254.jpg
    IMG_5254.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,082
  • IMG_5271.jpg
    IMG_5271.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,116
  • IMG_5273.jpg
    IMG_5273.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,097
Good job! At first glance I thought I was looking at my work in progess except that you have a wood floor. Mine is a little deeper & wider but essentially the same frame design.
Now if this rain would just let up I can get my roof on and wrap up this project! Looks like you had some nice weather to work in.
Good luck!

Wow! Thats about it....Is that 8x8?

RynoVT said:
I looked here for ideas on building our new shed. Thanks for all the ideas. I figured I would post some pics of our nearly completed project with hopes that maybe someone else can use them. Now I just need to fill it.

8x20 with 2 foot overhangs.

Very nice RynoVT, built to last.

zap

that is one STURDY looking sucker. nicely done. Keep us posted on the progress.

great handiwork. looking forward to seeing the finished shed.
yep. i'm gonna copy yer design there.

i was thinking about corrugated metal for the floor.
anyone have any experience with that?
pro's or con's?

OT

Fifelaker said:
Metal floor= adult slip-n-slide. Maybe hard on ankles too.
theory would likely be that it would be resistant to moisture and would provide some air flow. My experience with corrogated tin roofing is that it will dent to heck after the first time you drop anything on it, and negate any of those good benefits. Now, if you have a bunch of free stuff laying around and you want a solid floor, then this might not be bad, just not what I'd choose if I was building new and paying for it.

Looks awesome. Great lookin and built to last. I have to build a shed in the Spring,,,think I may steal your design !!!!!

Did you put any type of moisture barrier under the floor?
Non vented floors like that tend to trap moisture coming out of the ground, also plywood floors close to the ground like that often end up becoming critter havens. Personally i would have used open wood slat flooring for both those reasons, but other than that little critique it looks pretty well built. I'm sure it will keep your wood dry.

Great shed.
Very similar to mine, except I used a pallet floor:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/56894/

I'm in an area that gets some strong winter winds, I tied the roof trusses down with metal "hurricane brackets" & tied the corner post down to a buried pier block
Big roof, big sail. Mine is open on all 4 sides so I figured better tie it down well.

I wish I'd have made more overhang on the back, like yours, water splashes up on the wood during heavy rain. I'm going to add a rain gutter.
It'll be "Totally Awesome" when we see the picture of it "Full" :)
Great job!
Great progress pictures.

That is one well built wood shed. Post and beam frame supporting the roof, open sides and a solid deck. Is that all white wood?

That shelter is coming along nicely! How is the floor constructed, it looks like 2x4's with plywood on top.. The reason is I have 2x6's with only a 6' span and the weight of the wood started to rip out the joist hangers and had to add support directly under the joist hangers before they collapsed.. Definitely a nervous moment!

Ray

How much wood do ya think ya could fit in the OP's shed???? Think it looks great.

I built one like that a while back with pt decking for the floor. When it was half full the rim joist broke. I ended up removing the flooring and poured footings under all the joists at 3foot intervals. That worked great. Check the weight of a cord of wood, you will be surprised! You shed will hold close to 8 cords, that is equal to several cars! Unloading the wood and taking up the floor for the repair was a drag.

The shed looks fantastic! You will love it when complete

Nice looking shed. Lots of new sheds showing up on the forum. One of the best things I ever did was build a shed.

Sharp looking shed.

Thanks for all the replys, questions, and comments. It could hold around 7.5 cords I believe. I am only going to use 2/3rds of it for wood. The last 6 feet will keep the snow off my small kubota.

The floor is 2x6 16" on center with 3/4" treated plywood. The 2x6s are held with joist hangers in 6x6s. Hope it holds up. It is a lot of weight. The only reason I put a floor on it at all is that the 6x6 skids will allow me to drag it and attach to my future garage.

If anyone wants the size specifics, lumber list, etc, just let me know.

Updated pics.

Filled up half the shed with wood and the rest with junk. Sorry about the messy pics. We are still getting organized in our new home.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_5340.jpg
    IMG_5340.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_5341.jpg
    IMG_5341.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 376
I know it's too late now but... some concrete pavers laid under the 2x6 joists would have given a lot of support and taken the load off the joist hangers.
Great job, though. I'd like to build a shed for my tractor implements but I leave my wood out in the open year round.

Nice set up. I need to build something similar and may steal some of your ideas.

RynoVT said:
Updated pics.

Filled up half the shed with wood and the rest with junk. Sorry about the messy pics. We are still getting organized in our new home.

Cheers.

Very nice job on that shelter!

Ray

Nice snow blower, too. That'll come in handy soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.