New Sheds Almost Full

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
The guys got together to split and load the sheds yesterday. Almost full. Will this be enough to heat my cabin this winter?

Just kidding. Firewood for Deep Portage, which burns about 90 cords each heating season. Mixture of oak, birch, maple and ash.

Attachments

• DSCN1882.jpg
    DSCN1882.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 726
  • DSCN1883.jpg
    DSCN1883.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 755
  • DSCN1884.jpg
    DSCN1884.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 718
I'm pretty sure Savage, Solar and Zap have more wood than that.

I really like the setup, very neat and in good order. 90 cords sounds as if it should be enough to heat a small village.

Excellent jebatty except that I would not want to burn that oak this year for sure, but even the others because of the way it is stacked. It will dry faster stacked outside the sheds. Also, why did you wait so long before doing the splitting?

Backwoods Savage said:
Excellent jebatty except that I would not want to burn that oak this year for sure, but even the others because of the way it is stacked. It will dry faster stacked outside the sheds. Also, why did you wait so long before doing the splitting?

Good question, I can't imagine all 90 cords is totally green, although I'm not so sure I like the method they use for drying either.

Jebatty...thought Deep Portage was a 50,000 sq. ft. plus learning center, not a cabin? If so you might need all 90!

jebatty said:
The guys got together to split and load the sheds yesterday. Almost full. Will this be enough to heat my cabin this winter?

Just kidding. Firewood for Deep Portage, which burns about 90 cords each heating season. Mixture of oak, birch, maple and ash.

Nice looking job on the woodsheds, 90 cord,that is some serious wood.

zap

Nice shed . . . nice wood.

All the wood is cut, split and stack in the wood yard of the logger for one summer, then moved to DP and stacked in the sheds for drying another summer. I share the concern on the oak. We split a couple of pieces a few days ago and MC was around 15%. I used my finish lumber moisture meter, which is compensated for species. Maybe we just happened to pick some extra dry ones. We'll continue to do some splits and MC checking during the burn season to get a better handle on dryness consistency.

That sounds good Jim.

That is pretty impressive. I can only imagine how much labor they have in stacking that twice before it even sees the boiler room. I think I would be inclined to windrow it in an open pole barn and use a skid steer with a grapple bucket.

So solar, can you match the wood pile?

lol, no. Just over 30 right now.

Keep at it. You'll pass him in no time at all.

Now that is a "wood shed /s ".
Awesome!

Jebatty, I'm curious how the rest of the operation involving the wood works. Wood to fire transportation, staff etc...

... I’m curious how the rest of the operation involving the wood works. Wood to fire transportation, staff etc…

The logger/wood supplier not only cuts, splits and stacks in the wood yard of the logger, but also transports the partly dry ready splits to DP, unloads and stacks in the wood sheds for the second summer. DP staff as needed loads a tandem axle trailer at the wood yard and moves the loaded trailer into the boiler building. Then the boiler staff loads a large wheel barrow or small pull wagon from the trailer and moves it a short distance in the boiler building to either the Wood Gun or the Garn. Instructions for loading are 11-13 splits on a loading. That is 100 +/- pounds, or about 600,000 btu's of available heat per load, less the efficiency factor for each boiler in converting that to btu output into the system.

jebatty said:
The logger/wood supplier not only cuts, splits and stacks in the wood yard of the logger, but also transports the partly dry ready splits to DP, unloads and stacks in the wood sheds for the second summer.

They must take good care of that logger. Thanks for sharing the process. It is interesting to see how people handle that kind of scale when dry wood is required at the end of the process.

jebatty said:
... I’m curious how the rest of the operation involving the wood works. Wood to fire transportation, staff etc…

The logger/wood supplier not only cuts, splits and stacks in the wood yard of the logger, but also transports the partly dry ready splits to DP, unloads and stacks in the wood sheds for the second summer. DP staff as needed loads a tandem axle trailer at the wood yard and moves the loaded trailer into the boiler building. Then the boiler staff loads a large wheel barrow or small pull wagon from the trailer and moves it a short distance in the boiler building to either the Wood Gun or the Garn. Instructions for loading are 11-13 splits on a loading. That is 100 +/- pounds, or about 600,000 btu's of available heat per load, less the efficiency factor for each boiler in converting that to btu output into the system.

Interesting...how many pounds of wood does the trailer hold or should I ask, how often is it filled and parked inside? Also, how much time does a typical loading cycle take? Lastly, what is the process for overnite burns? Thanks...

Interesting...how many pounds of wood does the trailer hold or should I ask, how often is it filled and parked inside? Also, how much time does a typical loading cycle take? Lastly, what is the process for overnite burns?

I will find out on weight hauled and time to pick up and return with a load of wood. Time to load the wheelbarrow/cart from the trailer and then load a boiler is less than 10 minutes. This might blow some away, but when temps here fall to -35F on cold winter nights, each of the Wood Gun and Garn are being loaded at a rate of about 100 lbs/hour, which is equivalent to 2 cords or so per 24 hour period. That's about 1 million Btuh output to the system. Fortunately, that does not happen too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.