New Shiny Electric Meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Well I just got a new shiny electric meter, again. It seems that once again our electric company can't believe that our all electric house doesn't use any more electricity than it does.

Since they went to remote readings the meter reader doesn't have to walk past the wood stacks every month to read the meter.

Funny I at one point got a call from the gas company asking questions after someone was out at least 3 times that I know of. They asked if I was having issues with gas? Nope, just the wife does ;~) I am fine with it! I finally told them I have a fireplace insert and the lights went on so to speak. There is a guy in our area that t'd off his supply line before the meter and heated his 3 car pole building and pool for 20 years till he ticked off a neighbor and they turned him in. I think he is doing time now.

Hey Bart! I can't think of anything better than the electric company providing you with those nice expensive shiny new meters all the time. For what they are charging all of us, it just makes me feel kind of good to know someone is getting something; even if it isn't a whole lot of use. The idea is just a hoot!

I think our 23 KWHs per day is excessive but since I run my business and a server farm out of the basement I guess not. I am still making changes to bring it down some more.

I would watch out for those shiny new (remote controlled, remote read) electric meters, they installed one at my house. Then all of a sudden I started to use 3x the electricity I used before. But, there is nothing wrong with the meter, since it is new. :down:

BrotherBart said:
I think our 23 KWHs per day is excessive but since I run my business and a server farm out of the basement I guess not. I am still making changes to bring it down some more.

I'm around 25 KwH/day, approx 750 a month, trying to get it down more too. Changing out to CF bulbs when they're on sale. less lights on, have the wife ride the gilligan's island bicycle generator when we watch TV. :)

I can't wait until my new gas bill now that I have the stove, the furnace only runs for 30 mins in the mornings. :D

What pisses me off, is that they estimate my usage in the winter because the reader doesn't want to tromp through 4 feet of snow, the sally.

MishMouse said:
I would watch out for those shiny new (remote controlled, remote read) electric meters, they installed one at my house. Then all of a sudden I started to use 3x the electricity I used before. But, there is nothing wrong with the meter, since it is new. :down:

I hear ya. They replaced it five years ago after I called and told them it was broken. They decided to estimate my bill for the time it was broken and magically it was three times more than any month since we had lived here. For the last month, while we are making major equipment changes, the meter is read every day at four o'clock so I will know within a day if this one is robbing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.