New snowblower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this doesn't help, but if anyone ever comes across an Yamaha blower, YS828 or YS626, BUY IT! The only blue blower that I know of. I've had the 828 since 1986, used every snowfall and only needed a belt and regular maint. Excellant quality with ball bearings EVERYWHERE, no bronze sleeves, and grar oil in the worm drive for the second stage. Parts availibility is not good though. Most homeowner outdoor equipt is made by HOP formarly AYP, or MTD. I do like the Honda hydro line, but as MM said, you get what you pay for, and you do pay for it. :confused:

TS

The mechanic at the Wood Chop Shop told me the 826 was built by Ariens for Deere.

zap
I've heard they were built by Deere, Bolens, Ariens, Pee Wee Herman, etc.... And can't really find proof of anybody outside of Deere building those units. Just my personal observation that they shared a lot with the Bolens of similar vintage.

Are you plowing on smooth asphalt? My problem with the 123 is not HP, it's traction. I have 2 x 50 lb. John Deere wheel weights on the rear, plus tire chains, plus my 180 lb. Still spins the rear tires.

I know HP is just about never an issue with the old Cubs. Yes my driveway is fairly smooth asphalt. But, now that I think of it, my neighbor had his driveway sealed a couple years ago. The winter that it was fresh I had major traction problems in his driveway. I couldn't push any snow. I could only clear his driveway with the snow thrower. I guess not all asphalt is the same.

I know HP is just about never an issue with the old Cubs. Yes my driveway is fairly smooth asphalt. But, now that I think of it, my neighbor had his driveway sealed a couple years ago. The winter that it was fresh I had major traction problems in his driveway. I couldn't push any snow. I could only clear his driveway with the snow thrower. I guess not all asphalt is the same.

Makes sense... I had mine freshly sealed when I moved in last fall. There are plenty of chain marks on it now, from plowing the one good snowfall we got last year.

You likely need more weight.

I use a ~20hp mid 90s Craftsman garden tractor for snow removal. Has a 48" 2 stage blower. I put 26" ATV tires on the rear and filled them with -20* windshield wash liquid. 7 gals in each tire.
Then 50 lb wheel weights and 250lbs of hanging weights off the back of it.

That works out to about 450lbs of added weight. It works well other than on really slick ice. I don't run chains because it tears up the driveway too much.

Are you plowing on smooth asphalt? My problem with the 123 is not HP, it's traction. I have 2 x 50 lb. John Deere wheel weights on the rear, plus tire chains, plus my 180 lb. Still spins the rear tires.

Reactions: Ashful
nate379, not that more weight would be a bad thing, but I'd be willing to bet the weight of my 1960's Cub rear end more than makes up for the added weight on your 1990's Craftsman! :p

Just to be clear, I have NO TROUBLE pushing my 42" snow thrower. I do have trouble pushing heavy, wet snow deeper than 4" with the 42" plow blade on a freshly seal-coated asphalt driveway, though. For full disclosure, the plow blade is rusty as hell, and wet snow sticks to it like good mashed potato (potatoe, Quayle). A good sandblasting and repaint might go a long way to help.

I have run the older machines before and I will never argue that they weren't built like brick chit houses! The tractor I have is still pretty solid though.. at least compared to the tin can ones they make now.

nate379, not that more weight would be a bad thing, but I'd be willing to bet the weight of my 1960's Cub rear end more than makes up for the added weight on your 1990's Craftsman! :p

Just to be clear, I have NO TROUBLE pushing my 42" snow thrower. I do have trouble pushing heavy, wet snow deeper than 4" with the 42" plow blade on a freshly seal-coated asphalt driveway, though. For full disclosure, the plow blade is rusty as hell, and wet snow sticks to it like good mashed potato (potatoe, Quayle). A good sandblasting and repaint might go a long way to help.

Reactions: Ashful
I know this doesn't help, but if anyone ever comes across an Yamaha blower, YS828 or YS626, BUY IT! The only blue blower that I know of. I

Or the new Yami's they sell up in Canada.

2011_SB_YT624E.jpg
2011_SB_YS928J.jpg
2011_SB_YT1232ED.jpg
2011_SB_YT624EDJ.jpg

This video of mine doesn't show it with upgraded impeller pulley kit but it will generally throw 40-50 feet now. This was the last year they sold the rebranded Husky/Craftsman model in the states. It gets the job done for me though.

Those Yamahas are big $$$$ on par with Honda with quality and $$$$. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but mine won't die, or even show signs of wearing out. This is in Maine winters mind you.

TS

I just couldn't justify spending this kind of money on a blower when all I need to do is blow paths around the cabin. Mine does surprising well with wheels although if I had any significant hills the track models would be required. Not much need for anything above an electric thrower in Western Washington but east of the Cascades there is. I usually have snow on the ground from Thanksgiving through early-mid May.

Then there is the $8K Honda Hybrid model. :)

HS1336IAS_PE_IMG250.jpg

Those Yamahas are big $$$$ on par with Honda with quality and $$$$. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but mine won't die, or even show signs of wearing out. This is in Maine winters mind you.

TS

Yeah I don't know about the whole electric tracks, hence the "hybrid" name. $8K thats like buying 4 cheap blowers.

TS

The handles on the Simplicy Pro line are really stout.

product_9166_600.jpg

When I was looking for snowblowers, the dealer I went to sold Ariens, Husqvarna and Simplicity. I was looking at the Ariens but they steered me towards the husky and simplicity. They said they thange the models almost every year on the ariens so the bugs don't ever get worked out from one year to the next. I went with the simplicity over husqvarna as it has heavier gauge steel and there are a couple more serviceable parts to it than the husky. I'm happy with the Simplicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.