New splitter and saw score!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLAYS WITH FIRE

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pa.
The splitter:
My mother and father heat their restaurant with wood and thought they needed a splitter......they don't! I get them wood from a local fellow for 120 a cord of very nicely seasoned mix. But a friend of theirs had a splitter for sale and they bought it. I thought, "man, they did this without my knowledge and it is probably whooped!" I couldn't be more wrong! It is Troy-bilt 27 ton that really was not used much. The best part is they paid 400 bux. They don't need it so I am bringing home with me. However, I won't use it to much as I love splitting by hand, call me crazy!

The saw:
I was looking for a small limbing saw for smaller stuff. I found on CL a Stihl 012av in very nice shape, except for the bar. The owner didn't really see the need to use bar oil. Needless to say the bar was completely toast! The paint was not rubbed off it was burnt off! He said he said he used it last 3 years ago and drained it. I went to see it, picked it up for 75 bux, went home and tore it apart. I cleaned it up, put fresh mix (40:1 synth) and fired it. It took about 6-8 pulls and fire up. Once it started it took off and I couldn't figure why. I shut it down and inspected and found the "throttle lock" would slip into the on position and it would rev out. The cap and spring for this was missing so I took it completely out and fired again. This time the idle was set waaaaay to high so I adjusted it, purred like a kitty!
Next I wanted to check oiler and found no worky.....I took it completely apart and found some funky old oil in it and cleaned very nicely. I filled with some premix and it started working. I put some bar oil in, tested, sharpened chain, and went cutting. I must say this little bugger is impressive! I have been using for a couple of weeks and also put new par and chain.

No pix of the saw but do have of the splitter!

What do think of the 012av, who have them? photo.JPG

Great score all together! The splitter will come in handy when you get a couple of knotty pieces.

Sent from my rooted and eclipse running X2--thanks nitro-- if im posting on here I'm probably supposed to be working! I can't help im addicted to HEARTH.COM!

You beat my deal. I just got the same splitter for $500. So, your parents paid $400, and you get to use it for free? Can't beat that. On another thread Napa filters are recommended as a lower cost option. #1259 is a hydraulic filter, and 51551 is an oil filter. Same threads, I don't know what the difference would be, I went with the #1259 hydraulic filter.

I have a 011 and it's a great little saw. I find I use it a lot instead of the 028.

THANK YOU MOM AND DAD!

Parents never stop doing for their kids!

I guess they wont be buying any more wood for a $120?!

Nice score, dirt cheap to boot! That splitter is easily worth more than twice that amount.

Thanks for the replys1 My mom and dad are pretty awesome and they come across great deals on alot of stuff... The 120 a cord is really not bad. The guy is a perfectionist. He he gives you more that 4x4x8 because of the spaces, no kidding! We don't have the space for seasoning all of mine and theirs. So they buy about 4 cord that is truly seasoned 1+ and I maintain it for them(haul and stack). This saves them TOOOOOOOOONS of cash as their furnace is oil :-(!
The funny thing is Columbia Gas used to be right across the street and there is no gas in the area, go figure...

I tell you guys this is faaar from a shill, if you are in the area. Give me a PM! I will take you down to the restaurant and you can enjoy some of the best food in the world! I say the world cause I travel it. There is a lot of great food in the world, places known for certain things, but it is hard to find everything great in one place! Near Pittsburgh

...Parents never stop doing for their kids...

Unfortunately, someday they will stop (certainly not because they want to). Tell them (and show them) that you love them every chance you get. The day will come when you get no more chances. <>

Reactions: Thistle
Fossil, I do call and see them everyday! I live half hour away so no big deal to go see them but when I'm away I call and let mom and dad know I'm ok.
But I know what you mean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Nice score on both. Hopefully you have added some grease as the beam looks like its' got a little cancer.

I have in my shed at the moment and have not done much. I wiped it down with a little WD-40 on a rag. From the looks of it this thing is really hardly used. The pic you see water spots from it sitting in the rain for a day because it was a day late for pick up. Before I use it I will change all fluids and run it.

The splitter:
My mother and father heat their restaurant with wood and thought they needed a splitter......they don't! I get them wood from a local fellow for 120 a cord of very nicely seasoned mix. But a friend of theirs had a splitter for sale and they bought it. I thought, "man, they did this without my knowledge and it is probably whooped!" I couldn't be more wrong! It is Troy-bilt 27 ton that really was not used much. The best part is they paid 400 bux. They don't need it so I am bringing home with me. However, I won't use it to much as I love splitting by hand, call me crazy!

The saw:
I was looking for a small limbing saw for smaller stuff. I found on CL a Stihl 012av in very nice shape, except for the bar. The owner didn't really see the need to use bar oil. Needless to say the bar was completely toast! The paint was not rubbed off it was burnt off! He said he said he used it last 3 years ago and drained it. I went to see it, picked it up for 75 bux, went home and tore it apart. I cleaned it up, put fresh mix (40:1 synth) and fired it. It took about 6-8 pulls and fire up. Once it started it took off and I couldn't figure why. I shut it down and inspected and found the "throttle lock" would slip into the on position and it would rev out. The cap and spring for this was missing so I took it completely out and fired again. This time the idle was set waaaaay to high so I adjusted it, purred like a kitty!
Next I wanted to check oiler and found no worky.....I took it completely apart and found some funky old oil in it and cleaned very nicely. I filled with some premix and it started working. I put some bar oil in, tested, sharpened chain, and went cutting. I must say this little bugger is impressive! I have been using for a couple of weeks and also put new par and chain.

No pix of the saw but do have of the splitter!

What do think of the 012av, who have them?

You are crazy.

I know, I know my wife thinks so too, but the Fiskars is fun! Swing, pop, swing, pop you get the picture.

I know, I know my wife thinks so too, but the Fiskars is fun! Swing, pop, swing, pop you get the picture.

Yeah, but for me the "pop" is coming from my body.;lol

Ha,Ha, good one! You should see what I can do with a shovel! Everything I do in my yard requires a shovel..That's a never ending story!

Status
Not open for further replies.