New splitter wedge angles??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2008
Upstate South Carolina
Gentlemen, I have been splitting by hand for a bunch of years, at least thirty five. So last week my wife insisted I buy a splitter that our Massey Ferguson dealer had. It is a new Troy Built 28 ton with a used splitter price. I noticed that the splitter wedge was almost five inches wide where some splitters have a thin knife like wedge. It looks to me like the thin knife wedge would work better and go through the wood easier. Was wondering if there are different width splitter wedge blades available. The splitter works fine but the wood makes a lot of noise when the big wedge splits it. The thin blade wedges I have used make no noise. All this is telling me that the thin knife wedges put less stress on the splitter and work easier. Wondering what you all thought. David

28 tons I want a Big soild wedge.

Mine is 8 inches wide. I love the crack that comes from only using and inch or two to pop the round. Significantly reduces cycle time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.