'New' splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

igibson27

Jul 19, 2014
I just bought a splitter off of Craigslist, kind of an odd deal so I have a few questions. Here's what I've got.
Nice home build frame with log lift. All new components including what appears to be a Fisher 24x5x2 cylinder 3500 psi, dynamic 16 gpm pump 400-900 psi low, 3000 psi high, and prince 2 spool valve (haven't determined which one yet) also 4000 psi hyd hoses 3/8 to log lift, 1/2 supply (1 inch suction and return) and cylinder. Lastly brand new kohler 22 twin cylinder haha, apparently they intended to swap out seasonly with a walk behind mower.
The splitter was never fully assembled or run so my question is are there adjustments to be made on the pump and valve? I have it running, everything is working but the auto return doesn't kick out like it should. My other concerns are, should the supply to valve be bigger than half inch? I was in a hurry and bought the only hyd filter housing I could find locally so my return goes from 1" to 3/4" is this a problem? On the cylinder the push port is only jic 8, this seems small (retract is 1/2 npt) and rod end uses just a 9/16 grade 8 bolt, I assume it's intend to be 'fitted' to the push plate but mine is set up more as the female side of a clevis, this seems like a poor poor design, think it will work? Finally what the heck should I do with the engine, find someone to trade for something more reasonable or just run as is?
Also I don't have a pressure gauge on in but I intent to, I needs to go between the pump and valves?
Thanks,
Ian

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
To clarify the cylinder rod end question, there is about a 1/4" shoulder that will bear some of the load but I suspect the push plate side will wear down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 138
The pump should not need adjustment, but a pressure gauge between the pump and control valve would be needed to make a proper adjustment. The appears to have adjustable detent.
The port sizes on the cylinder are typical for that bore size.
The hose between the pump and control valve should be at least equal to the pump outlet.
The return hose should be one size larger than the supply hose.
The end of the cylinder rod should supply all the force to the push plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.