New Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johneh

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2009
Eastern Ontario
A friend of youngest son is building splitters . Youngest son wants me to buy one .
They are expensive and more commercial that I what I need .
Take a look www.eastonmadewoodsplitters.com

I couldn't see much on the website, but the first line kind of struck me as funny "All machines are powered by a commercial grade Honda GX series engines, not those offshore brands" . I didn't know Honda's were made in Canada?

it's nice, but way too much money. I wouldn't pay more than $3000 for it. For that price you can buy a lil beaver processor.

Yikes. I was in Ontario just a year and a half ago and the dollars were trading close to par.

A friend of youngest son is building splitters . Youngest son wants me to buy one .
They are expensive and more commercial that I what I need .
Take a look www.eastonmadewoodsplitters.com

Absolutely awesome looking unit. Love the hydraulic adjustable splitting wedge. Way to much for my needs though. I could never justify buying one. However, if they ever decided to rent them out I'd gladly pay a premium fee. No comparison to the Rental Village units that's for sure.

I think the key here is that these are splitters intended for "firewood professionals". IE, somebody that makes money processing firewood. Yes, they are WAY OVERKILL for the average wood burner like most people here. A lot of us don't even know a splitter, so obviously a Cadillac splitter like this is overkill.

Reactions: Wisneaky
A couple of design issues I can see. First is the adjustable wedge doesn't have the ability to retract out of the way for a single split (think large, tough rounds). Second - nylon slides are gonna be a weak point. You could make the argument that they are cheap and easy to replace, but bronze would have been a better choice IF you were going to worry about it at all. Third - the build is nice and clean but did you notice how the machine, both front AND back, jumped on a couple of those rounds? I would expect long term fatigue. And finally - overkill on the tank. It just simply doesn't need to be that big.

But I'll tell you what - that is a pretty impressive build. I like it. If the logs were of the size in the video, this thing looks like a real production machine. I think big boy rounds would give this machine some trouble.

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
I watched the video all the way through. Am I the only one who noticed that the lift was only used once, at the beginning, to show that it would actually work? After that all loading was done by hand. Two folks loading and just one to run the machine may be just fine but a good loading device might have saved one of those people needing to be there. Maybe something like a conveyor system for the lift so logs could just be rolled onto the lift at ground level would save the need for that third person. Just trying to think of costs for a commercial operation. Wages are always a big cost factor. I will never need a splitter that robust for my modest needs but I do find this one interesting.

The real bottleneck in commercial style splitters is getting rid of the splits and having too handle the wood several times.

I place the splitter within a few feet of the stacks and have the rounds right there. I stack as it comes off the splitter and then you just handle it once.

The real bottleneck in commercial style splitters is getting rid of the splits and having too handle the wood several times.

I place the splitter within a few feet of the stacks and have the rounds right there. I stack as it comes off the splitter and then you just handle it once.
This ^^^

Log lifts are nice for the big, heavies. But really just slow things down for smaller stuff. Labor is the biggest factor on splitting wood. If you can find a way to make minimize the human effort in stacking/handling it cuts way down on things.

FWIW, my splitting routine with a hydraulic splitter is different from manual splitting. With a hydraulic I put the splitter near where I'm stacking, back the truck load of rounds up to the splitter and roll them out of the truck onto the splitter then stack the splits as I split. With manual I take more time splitting so I roll the rounds out into a pile then split at my convenience about 1-2 months later once the wood has started to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.