new splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DuketheSuperLab

Apr 18, 2012
I was wondering if a barely used MTD yard machines 25 ton, with the 6.5 horse briggs was worth $750. Any help or opinions would be appreciated. I would not be making a living with this splitter, it would only need to split roughly 10 cord of oak a year. Thanks again for any input.
Superlab

That price doesnt sound to bad compared to what Ive been seeing around my area, course I would try to get it for $600-650, he must have some wiggle room. Did you look at it yet or you just see an ad?

Just depends upon what shape it is in. Price doesn't sound too bad but I'd try to get it lowered if possible. Both zap and I have MTD splitters and have no problems. Mine is a 20 ton with a 5 hp B&S engine. It is beginning to use a bit of oil but oil is cheaper than metal and this thing is over 20 years old now and has split well over 200 cord of wood.

You're most likely going to get years of service from that machine. Keep in mind that new machines in that class start at about $1000. $750 doesn't seem too bad if it is "barely used".

Thanks for all the help. I was about ready to pull the trigger on the machine, when another machine came available. I want to go look at it as well. It is a 3 year old 22 ton speedco with the 6.5 horsepower briggs. Asking price for this machine is $825. Do any of you guys have any comparisons on these two machines? Likes/Dislikes? Preferences? Thanks in advance.

Duke, you most likely would be happy with either one.

Reactions: MasterMech
Status
Not open for further replies.