New SS liner qualify for tax credit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VTHC

Nov 12, 2009
Northwestern Vermont
I installed a SS liner in July, and bought/installed a new wood stove in December. Can i claim the cost of the liner as "installation" towards the $1500 max? The tax code is a little vague, and the info i've searched on the forum generally deal with stoves...
I know the tax questions have been discussed ad nauseum here. SO hopefully i won't get flamed too much. :)

I feel like it would count if i'm reading the language correctly: "This
includes labor costs properly allocable to the onsite preparation,
assembly, or original installation of the property and for piping or wiring
to interconnect such property to the home."
WOuld you all agree?

I'd hit it.

Shhhh...that liner really didn't installed until December, right?

Actually, the date that is used is when the stove is placed into service, and you can use the credit for all installation materials (and labor, too, but since you did it yourself this won't apply).

The way I read it is: Did you need this liner and any other parts to meet code or installation requirements to put the stove into service? Yes? Credit. Does not matter what order you bought the parts. We bought our stove in May, but our heat shield didn't get in until August, and we bought our chimney in December... all of those parts were needed to get it running and installed properly.

That seems right by me, and my dealer, and a friend who works on taxes.. but at least one of those people has been breathing curing paint fumes off a new install recently.. lol

They are both bought in 2009, correct? If thats the case you claim the liner, the stove, any labor involved, silicone, rockwool, maybe even the new ladder you needed to buy to get on the roof. Stop adding stuff when you reach $5000

Thanks for the input everyone!

Franks - that's where i was going... trying to get the full $1500 credit. We did a LOT of work on the house this summer/fall (all of the install purchases were made in 2009), and with the liner that will push our cost over the $5000 mark (yeesh!). Just wanted to make sure my interpretation of the language was right.

Yes. The liner is a necessary component for the installation and operation of the new stove and both were installed in 2009. Keep your receipts. This is entered on Form 5695 Residential Energy Credits, Line 3a, Energy efficient building property.

Status
Not open for further replies.