New St Croix Prescott...noisy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Catfishjack

Sep 11, 2008
Northern NY
Hello,
Quick question from a beginner..Fired up my St Croix Prescott stove today. I like it...BUT....my question is this :
How much noise is this suppose to make:

The fan is typical fan noise a I have one on my gas fireplace and it make the same " fan" noise:
Pellets falling ( is a good sign as I have heat)

But I also hear what I believe to be the "versa motor" it is louder or perhaps the same noise level as the blower...Is this correct?
(are the Versa motor totally quiet? Only someone who has a stove than runs correctly will know) that is probably you , and it could be me, but I don't know...sounds confusing......

I could learn to live with it but if it isn't I need to inform my dealer....

Thanks
Catfish Jack

Pretty hard to say based on that description. I have a st croix that has the versa grate system and I do hear the motor on it if I listen. I don't think it is as loud as the room air blower, but it is noticeable if you ae tuned in to the sounds of the stove. IMO St Croix's are awesome stoves, but are no better than average when it comes to noise. There are a few out here (I think maybe some enviros) that do extra stuff to try to reduce noise, but you don't get anything advanced in this area with St Croix.

If you check your manual, you will see that there is a maint item to lube the versa grate motor. Being that your stove is new, I would not think this would be necessary, but it is something to talk to your dealer about (whether he/she thinks it would help).

Thanks.It's my first time running it so really I do not know what to expect. I just turned it off and the versa grate motor has stopped. The fan noise is "fan noise" but the Versa Grate motor noise was louder than the fan..If my dealer has one running I will be able to tell a little better..The versa grate motor was the loudest "noise" from the operating stove...

I have the Prescott and never heard anything that's
louder than the blowers so not sure what you're experiencing
but hope you get it squared away. I love my stove. :)

well I just turned the stove off and the noise stopped so it must be the Versa grate motor...it is louder than the fan motor...Thanks for your reply...any Prescott owners out there with this issue. My stove is brand new?

I Started the stove back up. When you open the right panel door you can see the Versa motor..the sound is coming from the motor itself..it's almost like you can hear the gears..on setting (2) it is as loud or louder than the fan....called the dealer..but I don't know if that sound is supposed to be there or not and he can tell me anything and I wouldn't know the difference...info if you have it..thanks..

I have the Afton bay by st Croix and NO it's not supposed to make any noise. Notify your dealer for a replacement motor it should be almost silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.