1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New stack...

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by EatenByLimestone, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Around the new year I burned the last of one of my stacks. It was mostly maple with a good amount of oak thrown in. The new stack has all been light wood. I've seen a bunch of pine, and some very light hard wood. I want my oak back! I'm going through this stuff like it's butter! The next stack is all hard wood. I can't wait. I'll be there before the month is up.

Matt

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Matt, you might try something that has worked well for us. Whenever I reload the stove, the first piece in front is a soft maple. If daytime burning and the outdoor temperature isn't that bad, the whole load may be maple. Otherwise, at night that first piece is maple and the rest of the load is good hardwood.
  3. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Yeah like Backwoods Savage says mix it up some ...we don't have to worry about any 'stack police' yet.
  4. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I'd almost rather be done with the stack. It's a pain having to carry in so much wood. I can't wait until I've turned it into garden fertilizer.

Matt
  5. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    Burn the hardwood now and wait to burn that stuff till the weather is warmer.
  6. trouba

trouba Member

Loc:
    Eastern Iowa
    I agree, soft wood is shoulder wood save the hard wood for when you really need to pour the heat on.
  7. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    low was 28 degrees last night and had a load of hedge in! (bad idea the house was 82) give me the soft wood until it gets under 15 degrees
  8. Malatesta

Malatesta New Member

Loc:
    Maryland
    I couldnt agree more , i burn the soft wood when its not that cold out . When it gets really cold thats when the Oak , locust and a few pieces of soft wood go in.

Save the good stuff for those frigid beastly temps !
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.