New stacking yard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen in SoKY

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2008
Southern Kentucky
I'm getting well into the 2010-11 wood supply and decided I needed a new stacking yard. I've got these posts spaced so that I can build a shed over them with no problems if I decide to. However, knowing myself I'll probably end up just covering the stacks with corrugated metal roofing.

Postdriver002.jpg

Postdriver004.jpg

I can see why you would hesitate to build a structure on poles set like that. Bring that post setter my way and we'll see if we can get the vertical alignment adjusted so that it is perfect. You'll earn a P.H.D (post hole digger) for your effort. Otherwise, yeah I'd settle for the corrugated too. (Seems to work great..envyenvy)

Great to hear you're cutting wood for over a year away.
Lots of tall grass there - what will you do to keep it away from the wood?
For a roof, are you going to connect the posts to the fence? Or are the posts for the ends of the ranks?
'Tis the season to season.
Happy burning.

If I roof it, all building will be done on an entirely diferent structure. Those were just some posts I had kicking around so I opted to use them rather than buy new T posts. I have the metal & 2X6 lumber already on hand. I'd just buy 4X4 PT to set in the ground and build from. I did space things so my stacks will easily fit under the size structure I plan to build with the already on hand materials.

ETA: That cursed johnsongrass is now cut raked & rolled. I'll hit the area with roundup and/or Pramitol in the spring & it's quite unusual for there to be any significant grass down there in a normal hay season.

Status
Not open for further replies.