new stainless cat for fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjkjoseph

Mar 31, 2008
long island
if you plan on getting one for next year,have them double the amount of insulation they send you..the new cat is kind of oval,the frame it goes in is rectangle...you will also have to jam pieces of insulation into all four corners....they told me on the phone the insulation will expand and fill in all the gaps,it will not...but easily fixed with extra insulation.

I hope woodstock figures it out for future users.

No problems with this one. It was kind a loose when I first installed it into the cast frame but it's pretty snug now. My new Keystone has the steel cat and I noticed it was not as loose as the Fireview in the cast frame and seems to be working great.

Attachments

• 100_1450.jpg
    100_1450.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 399
Good to know. Thanks for posting this Joseph.

My new metal cat fit a little loose, but the instructions said it would. I took it out for cleaning yesterday and it was still kinda loose in there. Not worried about it. the stove is burning hotter and longer than it ever did with the ceramic one. It was also unbelievably clean after 2 months and at least 2 cords burned. I just rubbed some dust off it and shook it around a little outside.

i have a large air leak in my soap stone,so i wont know until next year..right now the stove wont go over 500..i changed the bypass door and the bypass frame and gasket..i hope it is the air leak causing the low temps..but i dont think it is.

Just out of curiosity, how much for the stainless CAT and where did you get it? I'm in the market for a CAT for a VC dutchwest, it will be a replacement piece for refurbishing. Thanks...

bjkjoseph said:
i have a large air leak in my soap stone,so i wont know until next year..right now the stove wont go over 500..i changed the bypass door and the bypass frame and gasket..i hope it is the air leak causing the low temps..but i dont think it is.

How dry is your wood? Was the bypass warped? What about your door gasket?

My Oslo heats my home said:
Just out of curiosity, how much for the stainless CAT and where did you get it? I'm in the market for a CAT for a VC dutchwest, it will be a replacement piece for refurbishing. Thanks...

$125 at Woodstock, but they only sell for their stoves. Condar sells VC cats.

I'm real curious to see the long term results with the SS cats. My first ceramic cat lasted only 2.5 seasons before it crumbled to bits.. my wood was less than optimal the first season. Since then my wood supply is much better (drier) and under cover in a wood shed. Even so both the replacement ceramic cat in the 2007 fireview and the original in the newer Fireview (2009 install) are cracking but are still in one piece. I'm pretty sure it's not a moisture content problem and because I have two stoves neither one gets run that hard. With the current condition of both cats I think I'll get another season out of both, so I'm seeing a 3 year life out of the ceramic cats.. 5 years would be better.

Todd said:

I think Woodstock sells a 6 inch diameter x 2 inch thick round cat that will fit the Dutchwest stoves - someone correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!
Bill

Todd said:

Yes Todd. As someone else pointed out, Woodstock does carry some other cats. You could check this out with Raybonz.

leeave96 said:
Todd said:

I think Woodstock sells a 6 inch diameter x 2 inch thick round cat that will fit the Dutchwest stoves - someone correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!
Bill

Ah, yes I see they sell those 6" round ones for their older stoves that probably fit other stove brands like the Dutchwest. Wonder what the insides of one of those old Palladians look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.