New Stihl 261 Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the RPM's are dropping to 30% or so of wide open throttle, that tells me the clutch is doing its job. Maybe your chain is too aggressive for the power head? A 3/8 full chisel chain on an 18" bar can suck up a lot of hp. That is my goto setup on my MS361 and I can stall it if I "push it".

Are you letting the saw drop through the log, or are you putting effort into it? You might be trying to push it too hard.

Yep, this is the issue. I have it happen to me even with the stock 18" bar and chain on my MS261. Just an issue of trying to cut too much too fast. For some reason, I don't experience it at all with the MS660.

Yep, this is the issue. I have it happen to me even with the stock 18" bar and chain on my MS261. Just an issue of trying to cut too much too fast. For some reason, I don't experience it at all with the MS660.

Wonder if de-greasing/cleaning the inside of the drum and then burnishing the clutch shoes would help?

Status
Not open for further replies.