New Stihls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Anyone notice the plastic on the new stihls look much cheaper than just a few years ago?

southbound said:
O and the fact every other part says made in China?????

The fricken one shot bottles even look cheaper! No wonder I have not been there in a couple of years...lol

man, that really sucks.

I've been waiting for my old 028 to die for a few years now.

I was originally planning to replace it with a 361. but now the replacement will be an 362.

maybe I've waited too long - hope the quality hasn't gone down hill too much - as we were planning to buy the new saw with our income tax return this year.

I'd rather not buy a used saw - as its not always possible to know exactly what you will get.

FLINT said:
man, that really sucks.

I've been waiting for my old 028 to die for a few years now.

I was originally planning to replace it with a 361. but now the replacement will be an 362.

maybe I've waited too long - hope the quality hasn't gone down hill too much - as we were planning to buy the new saw with our income tax return this year.

I'd rather not buy a used saw - as its not always possible to know exactly what you will get.

not sure what to think all of them just looks cheaper. Maybe it just me...Even the white looks a little different. Plastic looks thinner
Take a look next chance you get.

southbound said:
What gonna do buy a husky?????

Come on now!!!

lol Maybe? No I dont see any new saw's coming my way just maybe a refurb one.....

If you check Stihl's website, they have posted a new video tour of their plant in Virginia Beach, VA, where the chainsaws are made. It specifically mentions that the plastic parts are made there, as well as the bars. I guess it's just that cheap American junk...

DanCorcoran said:
If you check Stihl's website, they have posted a new video tour of their plant in Virginia Beach, VA, where the chainsaws are made. It specifically mentions that the plastic parts are made there, as well as the bars. I guess it's just that cheap American junk...

lol I did notice the 460/660 still say made in Germany and the plastic looks the same.

hmm, well maybe they just LOOK cheaper - but in fact are just as high quality :)

I guess the only way to know for sure would be to get a saw with new plastic and a new saw with the old type and then smash both with hammers and see which one breaks first?

I can barely afford a new saw that I will treasure for the next 25 years, so I won't be doing any testing like that!

Even the Cheap Chineese are not made the way they used to be
marg-helgenberger-01130701.jpg

Speaking of the cheap plastic, it is the same on our new atv. That stuff really seems flimsy. It will dent very easily but so far it also pops back out with no damage. Just a lighter plastic but apparently is strong enough. Still not sure I like that part.

Getting the saw ready this evening and guess what? The air filter cover crack bad have no idea how that happend...Southbound is there any of them lying around?

smokinjay said:
Getting the saw ready this evening and guess what? The air filter cover crack bad have no idea how that happend...Southbound is there any of them lying around?

Epoxy fix it good.

localLEE said:
smokinjay said:

Epoxy fix it good.

Yea scotch super 33+ for now....Epoxy thats great idea that will be next. Then hopefullee run across one sometime.

southbound said:
Ouch sorry!!!!!

You know I don't play with anything that big.... Just scares me!!!!!!!!!

Yea I should have known lol Epoxy will do. Tape looks like it will hold for awhile..

smokinjay said:
southbound said:
Ouch sorry!!!!!

You know I don't play with anything that big.... Just scares me!!!!!!!!!

Yea I should have known lol Epoxy will do. Tape looks like it will hold for awhile..

Hey Jay.... last night I seen on Ebay someone had a Stihl 8ft bar for an 090 that ended.Seller had a reserve,top bid was $346 with $80 shipping to my area.Didnt make the reserve so it didnt sell.

That would fit nicely on your 088 I imagine.... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.