New stove after 20 years - Olso 500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After much research, mainly searching the Forum archives, I went out and bought a new Oslo 500, blue black enamel. I had posted last March about whether to try to rebuild my Dutchwest Sequoia after the cat crumbled. After 19 years of service, we did get our money out of it. My wife is concerned that the Olso will not heat as well as the Ol' Beast. It did have air chambers for the fan to blow the room air through, so with the fan, it could put out the BTUs with the cat cooking at 800+ F. But I assured my wife that the Olso, at 70,000 BTUs will also put out some heat as well.

The tax credit pushed me over the hump. After burning with out the cat for about a month, when I cleaned my chimney I found that I had more than twice as much creosote as normal. Also, I had burned more wood than normal being that it was a cold winter in my neck of the woods. The cat was probably not working well most of the winter. So I ended up with a good size box full of the black stuff.

Between that last cleaning and the inspiration of the Forum, I am doing it right and going with the chimney liner. I ordered a Rock-flex 316ti chimney liner with the insulation kit. I'm even going to invite the code inspector to take a look. My only clearance problem is in the front of the stove as the hearth drops off. I am doing a noncombustible floor extension in front of the hearth. So I am planning to cut a piece of 3/4 ply wood and cover it with ceramic tile. I have some 18x18 tiles. The stove is up on the hearth, 8" higher than the floor where the tiles are going. So the tile only provides ember protection. Also, I am using the side door for loading, not the front.

So I excited about doing the chimney liner install this weekend and picking up the stove the following weekend.

Any suggestions about what to do with a old 500+ lb cast iron stove?

Sean

Congrats on the new stove. It sounds like you have all your ducks in a row, don't forget pictures of your new install.

I would advertise Sequoia parts on the for sale/wanted section of the forum. Lots of folks still heating with those suckers. And nobody has mentioned them looking like a cast iron Porta-Potty in two years. :lol:

Myself I think they are a great looking stove.

Definitely see if there is someone that wants it for parts, outside fireplace or smoker?

Did you order the blower for the Oslo?

Did not order the blower yet. The shop owner said that not very many people use the factory blower. She and her husband use a small fan to blow on the stove. Do you think the factory blower is worth it?

Ghettontheball said:
keep it in ur memory so when ure disappointed with new stove u can reminiss, unless ure gonna burn coal too

You may be right about remembering the good old days when I want max heat on a signal digit nights. The Sequoia was built to crank it out. I could get the cat to 1000 and the stove had the internal chambers for the blower to put out the heat. I do not expect the Oslo to equal it on the high end.

But I can tell you there will be no missing chimney cleaning day. I had to disconnect the direct connect flue and move the stove out of the way, pull out the block off plate and the direct connect assembly. My least favorite chore will not be missed.

The Oslo has to be one of the best looking stoves on the market today.

Congrats on the Oslo; it's a great looking stove! We've enjoyed our Castine over the last few cool weekends. A lot of people here really like the side loading ability of the Oslo. Remember to take pics!

It's hard to beat the appearance of the Oslo, it's a beautiful stove. I hope it meets your needs as well. Congrats.

My only regret (albeit a very small regret) is that I didn't opt to hold off and get an Oslo with the blue black enamel since it looks mighty sharp. Congrats on the purchase . . . and remember we like pics!

As for what to do with the old stove . . . a) part it out, b) sell it cheaply or c) haul it to the local scrap metal dealer to get a little extra mileage out of the ol' girl.

Tell your wife the Oslo should provide plenty of heat. I'm heating a 30 x 40 Cape (2 stories) with moderate insulation (built in the 1970s and so we've been slowly and surely insulating the home and changing windows as time and money allows) and the Oslo keeps every room in the house very warm except for the downstairs bedroom (which we like a bit cooler) and the mud room -- the two rooms located the furthest from the stove. I went into this expecting to use this stove more to heat the living room (where we spend most of our time) and maybe a few adjoining rooms, but was pleasantly surprised to find that it heated the entire home quite well -- the key is to use seasoned wood, move the air using fans and learn how to operate the stove so you get the maximum amount of heat with the secondary combustion (which was a learning process for us.)

The best part of this whole experience is when you master the stove and get a great secondary combustion going . . . with the heat pouring out and the light show going on, I think your wife will think it was a wise investment on your part. As for you . . . part of the real joy will be the ease of use and how clean this stove keeps the chimney -- I checked and cleaned mine once a month. Honestly, this was overkill -- once during the middle of winter would have been fine . . . if that much.

Normally I advise folks to build some added R value into their hearth even if not required, but due to your lay-out I think simple ember protection would be more than adequate as it is more of an extension . . . and you are definitely wise to not plan to use the front door (the one fault with the Oslo -- ash spillage always occurs out of the front door).

Finally, in regards to the blower, I think your dealer gave you good advice. I received the same advice from my dealer and he was right . . . most folks don't buy 'em or need 'em . . . so save your money . . . but after a winter if you feel you need a blower you can always buy one and install it in the Spring.

Green Energy said:
Did not order the blower yet. The shop owner said that not very many people use the factory blower. She and her husband use a small fan to blow on the stove. Do you think the factory blower is worth it?

Not sure how much the blower will help without knowing the house and situation. But if it keeps the wife happy, yes it will be worth it. As far as external fans go, many of us have found that blowing air from the cooler part of the house -> towards -> the stove is more effective than putting a fan near the stove blowing heat from it.

I suspect you and she will love the Oslo, it is a fine stove. Good choice on getting it enameled. If you bring it up to 650-700 it will be putting out a lot of heat. As for single digit heating capacity, work on sealing up the house air leaks and improving insulation. Maybe make some insulated curtains for the larger glass areas. That will keep everybody happy.

Thanks for all the encouragement. It helps with the excitement and anticipation. The Oslo is a fine looking stove. And with the short leg kit, it will fit under my 27" high lintel that supports the top opening of my fireplace. I look forward to learning how to dial in the secondary combustion.

For wood, I have two cords so far - a half a cord well seasoned from last winter. Just bought a cord of oak that looks well seasoned that I'll probably start burning in December after I use my half a cord. Then I just cut and split another half cord from oak that has been laying around for several years, no bark and soft layer on outside, but good solid oak through most of it. May have to burn this in January. I also have a couple dead oaks that have been standing a couple years. I'll take those down and split them to get my third cord for the winter and start on next winter's supply.

I am heating a large room, 20 x 15 family room which is wide open to an eat-in dining area and kitchen. It is really one room 42 x 15. The space runs along the back of the house, 42 foot exterior wall, R 7 batt between the 3.5 studs, with three french doors (double glazed, but lousy thermal resistance in the door around the glass, built in 1989. 1000 sf all together on the first floor and another 1000 sf on the second floor. Unfinished basement downstairs. So I am not afraid of overheating the house unless it gets up in the 40s. I am thinking about putting a transfer register through the ceiling to get heat up in the boys bedroom above the family room. Maybe 4 x 8 or 6 x 12. With the Sequoia, we usually had 90 F air along the ceiling when we had it cranking. The old stove did not get much heat to the second floor because the stairs are are about 45 feet with a doorway transom blocking the hot air from flowing along the ceiling. But we do most of our living in the family room/kitchen area. Then we have down comforters we get under upstairs.

Thanks for all the encouragement. Reading the posts helped me take the plunge in making the upgrade.

Try the fan trick mentioned. Blow the cool air towards the stove. It's easier to work with nature than against it. If you can post a floor plan, we can help a bit with fan placement.

Better resplit some of that oak and check it with a moisture meter. My guess is most of it is not as dry as you might think. I suspect your new stove will be a little more finicky about moisture content and w/o the cat you're more likely to build up creosote.

Wet1 said:
Better resplit some of that oak and check it with a moisture meter. My guess is most of it is not as dry as you might think. I suspect your new stove will be a little more finicky about moisture content and w/o the cat you're more likely to build up creosote.

Thanks for the advice. I think your right. I need to get a moisture meter. Any suggestions on where to obtain one?

Wet1 said:

The Oslo is one good heater, this will be my 5th winter with mine. Nice choice with blue/black enamel.
I might add to the above quote.... the Oslo will be picky about seasoned wood.
You may be disappointed with it's performance to some extent this season compared to your old stove (solely because of the moisture content of your wood)

WoodButcher

Green Energy said:
Wet1 said:

Thanks for the advice. I think your right. I need to get a moisture meter. Any suggestions on where to obtain one?
Nice stove, you'll love it. But it hates wet wood. I don't use a meter but just hit two splits together. The wet wood will have a dull thunk while nice dry wood will have a ringing sound. Be safe.
Ed

Green Energy said:

Not worth it. Its a little fan that hangs off the back between the heat sheild. If you really need it, a regular little fan will work. Our ceiling fan does most of the work for us and we have a large catherdral ceiling. I dont think you'll be dissapointed with the Oslo.. it too is a workhorse. I have the blue black as well and love it. Best of luck.

Hi GE,

Congrats on your new stove. This will be my third season with the Oslo after using the same stove for the previous 26 years. I heat 2100 sq. ft., 24/7 with cathedral ceilings on the second floor. It does a great job and the secondary burn is fun to watch. Like others have already said, this stove likes dry wood. I burn about four cord a year and I'm at least two years ahead.

Enjoy your new stove,

Jim

Jim and all,

Thanks for the encouragement. I am getting excited. I have the chimney liner in the garage. Fabricated a block off plate and hope to install the chimney liner this week. Plan on picking up the stove next weekend. I'll post pics as I make proceed through the installation.

GE

Status
Not open for further replies.