New stove and hearth install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cableman

Minister of Fire
Sep 26, 2013
long island
Figure id start a new thread on my almost completed install!
Bought the house 12 years ago and used the big bullard stove.
image.jpg
Wanted something more efficient so bought the shelburne last year.
image.jpg
This year i figured i could push it back to where it belonged and one thing leads to another!
Rip the brick, might as well install a sliding door now!
image.jpg image.jpg
New header cut the foundation
image.jpg
Durarock walls, mud floor and install 400lbs bluestone slab!
image.jpg
This section of the house sticks out 5' past the 2nd story, once i ripped the ceiling i thought it would look cool leaving it vaulted!
image.jpg
2 layers of 2" dow board keeping air space and channel against header! Hope it breaths ok!
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Thanks for all the help on my stove pipe clearance thread!

Last edited:
This is as it sits now. What do you guys think i should put on the back walls? Im thinking ledge stone mixing in some fieldstone, maybe a gray/brown color.image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great. Funny how demo can suggest changes to the project ... always helps to be open minded when we start opening things up.

Sounds like you have a plan on the stone ... that is strictly a matter of taste but it sounds good.

Wow. Looks like a lot of work. Stone would look great next to your bluestone.
For what it's worth, two layers of 2" styrofoam gets you about an R-20 on the ceiling. Building code is R-38. On the the plus side, it looks like you got the second layer continuous across the underside of the existing rafters, which will reduce thermal bridging.
It is critical you get an continuous vapor barrier that does not allow any leakage of moist indoor air into the roof framing. Otherwise in winter you may get moisture condensing on the underside of the roof sheathing and rot.
The reference to an air space is confusing...isn't this an unvented cathedral ceiling, since it's a bump out addition and the roof frames into a vertical exterior wall?
You may want to review info on cathedral ceilings on greenbuildingadvisor.com. They have excellent information on this subject.

Ya elmoleaf its been a challenge to try and do it right! I couldnt find help with this unless i spray foamed it. The dow board is r13 per 2" so r26 for the 4" i used, but idk if thats with an air space between the foil! Any how one bay has a vent just at the top and i left a channel above the header to allow all bays to vent plus the right side vents to the other attic. Is it correct? Prolly not but i really dont think its gonna be a problem! I figured its gotta be better then fiberglass insulation with those pink styro shields! Plus its so dam sealed with great stuff and aluminum tape there should be no air leaks! Yes the 2nd layer is under the rafter bays. I also left 1-1/2" air space between the 1st layer of dow board and the roof sheathing.
Heres a pic of the channel above the header...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Well today was my day off so i finished the chimney install, had to run back to lowes cause one section was dented right in the middle! Also had to pick up a 6" dsp lenth so i could burn it tonight! Sure was a pain to get the top section and brace on! Wish my bucket truck fit in the backyard! 14' + 4' of dsp gonna add a brace of some sort in the middle also image.jpg

Reactions: PapaDave
Just got a kitten for the kids! Slow burn tonight! Love this stove! Stonework hopefully soon! image.jpg

Just got a kitten for the kids! Slow burn tonight! Love this stove! Stonework hopefully soon! View attachment 117208

Pretty kitty . . . and who are you fooling . . . you'll probably fall in love with that cat right along with the kids . . . I mean the cat obviously has good taste and sense as it is right next to the stove.

Just over 600 flue temp, 390 stove top and no smoke! I love this stove! I promise ill have nice finished pics once i get time to finish lol oh and the kitty is behind it in the pic lol
image.jpg image.jpg

Try backing down the air a little more to see if you can lower the flue temps and raise the stove top temp a bit.

Ill give it a try! Seems like everything drops then, its cherry im burning right now and close to 2 years old but i heard it sizzling last night! Had a tarp on it thought. Whats safe flue temps? I believe a high burn is up to 450 on the stove top for this stove. So far my durarock on the sides are highest 145* also, hope thats ok!

Ledgestone with a spattering of field stone here and there is awesome! I did that in my addition.

Ya i think that gonna be it! I do like the river rock look too but not sure if my house goes with it. Ck out the kitty on the lower left lol I'm amazed that under the stove is only 88-93* right now! Guess thats why the cat can handle it. Im waiting for him to combust lolimage.jpg

I think remember a member saying he saw his cat's fur starting to smoke a bit. Keep an eye on the kitty.
Actually back there, may not be very hot.

Here is some stonework I did using ledgestone & field stone mixed in sparingly.
If you search my other posts, there are some other photos and in progress photos.
The narrower strip between the entrance door and sliding door is where the 30 is going to go.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/addition-update-4-16-12.86058/#post-1112236

Nice work hog! How thick are the stones usually? The corners of the stove are 7" off the wall but the heat shield is only 4-1/2".

Thanks, it is a never ending labor of love I guess.
The stones average about 1-1/2" thick. Some a little more 2"-3", some a little less. But mostly average 1-1/2".

Reactions: Marbles
Ya i think that gonna be it! I do like the river rock look too but not sure if my house goes with it. Ck out the kitty on the lower left lol I'm amazed that under the stove is only 88-93* right now! Guess thats why the cat can handle it. Im waiting for him to combust lolView attachment 117319

Hehheh . . . one of my Manx cats (well half Manx) practically lives behind the woodstove during the winter. Last year we had some friends over and they were all concerned that she was going to burst into flames.

Was she a long tailed cat before getting so close to the stove?;)

Reactions: firefighterjake
Was she a long tailed cat before getting so close to the stove?;)

No . . . always a stumpy.

But . . . true story . . . Lucky -- our black cat that my wife found on a deserted stretch of road in sub=zero weather many, many years ago -- had a much longer tail at one time. She ended up with frost bit paws, ear tips and the tip of her tail before my wife rescued her . . . vet nursed her back to health, but when we got her home in the first few days I accidentally stepped on her tail and tip broke off -- maybe 1 inch, 1 1/2 inches where it had been frost bit.

Ours goes back and forth to the stove and his bed! Just throwing a few pieces tonight and the house is 70+. Hopfully get some painting and molding done this week end!

I stopped by lowes to p/u a test piece of the quartz ledge stone. I like how thin it is cause my stove is set back just over code at 7" a corner. Should be an easy install and real quartz i guess is a plus! The wife likes the darker one, what you guys/gales think? Guess it all depends on wall color too.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Read this whole thread. Nice install, I wish I was handy and could do things on my own like that. I have trouble changing my customers license plates from their old car to new car. I think the darker stone would look nice. The black stove on white stone ehhhhh not so much. Just my opinion. But again, nice install.

image.jpg
And another!

Status
Not open for further replies.