new stove, and I am learning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozarkjeep

Nov 6, 2006
ok, been struggling with figuring this cat stove out since November, tonight, I think I have stumbled on to something.

ive let it roast a few times and gotten surface temps of 900+ degrees, tonight, I built a decent sived fire, 6 medium splits stacked like a log cabin.

and got it flaming, shut the door, engaged the cat damper. and waited a while, half an hour later when surface temps were 500+ I shut the air intake down to less than 25%.

now, 4 hours later, surface temps are peaking at 950, house is WARM, 74 degrees in the stove room with fans going, and all other cold rooms mixing the air.

and its still going, and going, and going, the wood isnt going away fast, its just glowing, and giving off enough gases to keep the catalyst hot.

I think Ive finally gotten into the groove of this, and its actually due to me having other things to do, I just "let it go" for an hour or so, instead of watching and constantly adjusting it.

maybe there is such a thing for over adjustment?

I also climbed onto the roof before and after cat engagment, nothing visible out of flu with cat engaged, AND temps dropped 200 degrees ( from 560-360_ measured on the inside of the rain cap.

interesting night for me. thought I might share.

By George, I think he's got it... :lol:

Glad to see you are having a good burn and getting the thing figured out.... Probably a bit on the hot side though, you might want to drop the air control a bit more.

Gooserider

Jeep you probably needed to get it pretty hot to burn of the redidue crap in that old combustor Wonderning what a new combustor will do
I also think you were over regulating the stove once I get my stoves up to temp decent bed of coals engage the cat its sit back and let it roll
maybe one minor adjustment to the inlet air to achieve the temp I want but that's it

So easy a neanderthal could do it

Status
Not open for further replies.