New stove break in period?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpink

Sep 20, 2010
Northern New Jersey
Thank you for all the advice, I took the plunge and now have a new M55 cast stove in our home. The piping is going to be installed this weekend, I will post pictures once it is done.
The local dealer delivered the stove and said that I should break the stove in by lighting a small fire for 30 min then turn it off for a few hours. He said I should repeat this process two more times increasing the burn time by 15 minutes. Is this prudent advice or a waste of time?

First of all, congrats on the new stove. From what I have read/heard, it should be a good unit.

As for the initial burn-in, I guess I'd have to listen to the dealer, although I've never heard of that kind of procedure for a pellet stove.

Most new stoves require you to burn at medium heat for 2-3 hours to cure and burn off any excess oils from the manufacturing process of the stove & exhaust pipe.

Oh, and btw, you ARE installing an OAK on the stove, correct? Enviro "Highly recommends" installing one with this stove.

Good luck. Don't forget we like to see pics of new installs....or it really didn't happen! :lol:

EDIT: Don't forget to get a GOOD surge protector on it too.

There are recommendations about the "break in" of a new stove, in most manufacturers Owners Manuals, and installers like yours who are doing their jobs will recommend their own ideas. In the end, I recall just firing it up, and opening a window, (I had heard that sometimes you get fumes or unwanted odors when you do the "first fire" in a new stove.

In the end, I got no smells that I could detect with this old schnozola of mine, and nothing warped, cracked or broke from day one.......

You should be fine.........just fire her up!!

-Soupy1957

With a cast iron wood stove, I was always careful to start with a low fire, if the stove was cold, and gradually build the fire to prevent damage to the castings.

When our Lopi Leyden was installed and fired up by the installer, I was somewhat taken aback ( make that REALLY WORRIED ) that the stove is designed to start on high automatically. No harm was or has been done.

Regardless of that, I would definately follow the advice and directions of the stove shop and/or the manufacturer.

Looking forward to pictures.

Good luck,

Ranger

Thanks alot. I am very excited to get it fired up. My brother made a hearth for us and we are more than pleased.
Hoping for installation this Saturday.

Yes I am having the OAK installed. The dealer who delivered the stove said that I don't need it, but like you said the manufacturer strongly recommends using it so that's what I am doing.

Warming up a cast stove slowly for the first few fires is a good thing.

This allows the casting to cure and any stresses that are in the casting to relax.

Placing really hot fire in the stove could cause issues so its best to follow the dealers instructions.

A welded steel stove is pretty much bomb proof and can be put right to work and let do its thing.

Congrats on the new stove, enjoy

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.