New stove but no auger activity and stove won’t shut down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boyler

Jan 24, 2011
Alaska
We have a new Avalon Astoria pellet stove. We filled it with pellets, then moved the switch to "manual" operaiton (the other 2 options were off or auto). Don't have the thermostat set up yet. Just wanted to see if it would run so went to "manual". The green light was blinking on the "heat output" section of the control panel (as you know, it's located on the outside of the stove). The "manual" light was on. the Auger light was blinking RED every 10-11 seconds. The fan motor was on as that's all we heard. The auger never engaged, didn't make any noise, didn't move at all, never fed or dropped any pellets. The ignitor was red and glowing (waiting for pellets that never showed up). I timed for 10 minutes like this nothing ever happened, nothing ever changed. I then turned the switch on the control panel to "off". The fan ran fovever and never did turn off or shut down. I finally unplugged the expensive unit, frustrated. No big deal, no deal period. What can I do. What could be wrong with a brand new stove that has never fired a pellet. Aren't these individually tested before leaving the factory?

Help please!

A quick look at the manual says you need to "prime" the auger with the manual auger button... did you try that?

I'd start looking for a loose connection, shipping can do funny things.

ETA: In addition to loose connection make certain that your air intake isn't blocked by packing material. If there is likely the vacuum switch didn't close which will also prevent the auger from turning.

Did you have the door open or hopper open when doing this? Some stoves have switches that must be made within these doors to allow the auger to operate. Not familiar with yours but my insert is like this.

I did prime the auger by pushing the "manual" button. I have gone through this scenario 3 times now. When I push the "manual" auger button, the auger light stays red until I take my finger off of it. The auger never makes a noise, never turns, does nothing. I have looked around for loose wires and connections, but will look again and see if anything shows up. I don't have a schematic to see if I'm overlooking anything. In the end, where each connector should go is what I need. I will keep at it. Maybe it's the sequence of things, but I really just can't understand why the auger doesn't move. It must be a fail-safe of some kind. Maybe something's jammed or damaged.

North to Alaska

Yes, I kept the hopper door closed the first 2 times but then opened it to visually see if the auger was moving. I haven't opened the front door.

North to Alaska said:
I did prime the auger by pushing the "manual" button. I have gone through this scenario 3 times now. When I push the "manual" auger button, the auger light stays red until I take my finger off of it. The auger never makes a noise, never turns, does nothing. I have looked around for loose wires and connections, but will look again and see if anything shows up. I don't have a schematic to see if I'm overlooking anything. In the end, where each connector should go is what I need. I will keep at it. Maybe it's the sequence of things, but I really just can't understand why the auger doesn't move. It must be a fail-safe of some kind. Maybe something's jammed or damaged.

North to Alaska

When the stove is on the system must see a vacuum in order for the auger motor to receive any power. No closed vacuum switch no auger turning. For there to be a vacuum switch activation the combustion blower must run and there be an unblocked air path from the air intake to the exhaust, the tube that attaches to some point in the exhaust system to the vacuum switch must be clear of obstructions and firmly seated on their barbs.

You can jumper the vacuum switch to test things.

Depending on the particular stove there may also be a safety interlock via the stove hopper door. In addition the stove door must be closed and reasonably sealed.

First thing I'd check is that the 2 power wires are firmly pressed onto the auger contacts. Also, as mentioned above, there is a vacuum switch with a silicone hose connected to it....tap that.

If you have a volt meter, run the stove, and check for 120v AC across the auger connections when the red light turns on. If it does have 120, then auger is bad or jammed.

Did you install the stove yourself? If it was "professionally" installed, the installers are required to run the stove to confirm that it works, and also so the owner can watch and ask questions.

Not sure what exactly made the change. We took the back panel off, rechecked connections, accidentally slammed the lid shut, looked for a safety shut off in connection to the lid; then we set the heat to high. The manual button was pushed. The auger gingerly rotated 4 times, then stopped. We pushed the manual auger button, held it down. It began to work! After the initial burn, we practiced the med/low heat settings with results. The rest is history...didn't want to leave you hanging, worse yet, give a good company a bad rep. thx for your patience with the novices...!

Status
Not open for further replies.