new stove coming, enlarged my hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

finnski

Oct 16, 2015
sw nh
Well we finally decided on a new stove. We had it narrowed down between the Hearthstone heritage (had a separate post on this earlier and thank everyone for their inputs)and the Jotul F45 Greenville. Went with the Jotul even though it required me to enlarge the hearth.
My present hearth was 200+ year old antique brick that I installed flush with the finish floor when we built the house 18 years ago. My original thought was to use more of that brick but it is 2 1/4 inches thick and I really didn't want to cut another big hole thru my subfloor and top of the joists. I decided to just remove the finish floor which is a full 1 inch thick wide pine and then add 1/2 inch backer board followed by 1/4 inch of mortar and a slate tile on top. I found the slate free many years ago and forgot I had it in the basement.
So I was able to carefully cut the finish floor out and install the new slate border flush with the existing floor as before. I need It flush because we have to pass between the stove and a post to follow our standard path to the living room from the kitchen. I have posted a few pictures of the before and after. The stove should be installed in about a week and a half

. IMG_0367 resized.jpg IMG_0373 resized.jpg IMG_0376 resized.jpg IMG_0378 resized.jpg IMG_0381 resized.jpg

Looks great, very nice work. I'd go around the post when the stove is burning.

Looks awesome!

Looks great!
You removed the finished floor, what is underneath the backer board?

Looks fantastic . . . and from what I can see of your home . . . looks quite cozy and comfortable. I suspect the Greenville will fit in nicely there.

Beautiful. Warm winter in that house ahead.

Tomorrow! I want to see the fire now...good luck trying to get to sleep tonight.

Looks good! Welcome to the Jotul Club, I just got my new Jotul installed 3 weeks ago.

Very nice looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.