New stove coming soon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robk

Sep 18, 2015
Grants Pass, Oregon
Hi everyone: my first post. Hope I don't ramble.

We currently have an uncertified wood stove insert that we want to replace. After getting a lot of quotes and talking to a lot of dealers, the threads on this forum made me decide on a Blaze King Princess insert. We'll hopefully have it installed in about 2 weeks.

I have a related question: the section above the fireplace opening (is there a name for this?!) has a crack.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443494115.150684.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443494128.084719.jpg

Is this something I need to worry about? If so, what's the fix for this?

I don't have a lot of other questions. This forum is a great resource!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it may be in the surface veneer. The insert contains the fire within a firebox surrounded by a convective jacket. It looks like it is safe, but it's always better to have it checked by someone that can examine it directly to make sure there isn't a deeper problem that doesn't show in a photo.

So we have these holes above the fireplace that, when it was a normal fireplace blew out hot air linked with a switch nearby that turns on a blower. Now it blows dust and cold air.

Can I plug these, and if so, with what?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445397029.872044.jpg

How about going to a tile store to find some nice accent tiles to put in there.

Reactions: robk
Where are you putting the block off plate in relation to the vents? There's another thread where someone was asking about drilling holes in the inserts surround to get more heat out. If the plate is above the vents maybe it will allow better circulation depending on where their air intake is?

Hmm. So we're doing our first burn in and smoke is coming in from those vents. A lot when it started going. It's a lot less now with the cat engaged.

I should assume that this isn't normal?

1st burn? paint curing. Shouldn't smell like fire wood burning, should smell like oil / factory burning

I work nights, lit my stove for break in fire fell asleep woke up to a house full of burn off had the doors open to air it out for about 2hrs no wind that day ;lol normal don't worry.

Reactions: robk
I have a question about wood. Right now I have a fair amount of dried fir. I'm not sure but perhaps enough to last the winter (we also have a furnace so the stove doesn't need to be the primary heat source). I've been looking around at some madrone and it seems everyone is selling "season madrone! Very dry!" But what they really mean is sat outside for maybe 6 months. No one seems to have ever considered moisture content or that hardwoods take longer than pine.

Is it worth even trying for seasoned hardwood or should I stick this winter with pretty much just fir and look for some green hardwood to season?

Normally madrone takes about 18 months to fully dry out after it has been split and stacked. Check the wood before purchasing. Get a moisture meter then bring your splitting maul or ax and check out their claim. Resplit a thicker split in half and then check the moisture content by pressing the prongs firmly into the freshly split wood face. If it reads <20% it's good to burn.

Thanks! At least from what I've read, it's just not a good experience burning wood that's over that mark so I'll hunt for something good. If not, fir it is this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.