New stove dealer for Lowes? No more Englander?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What difference does it make if the stove is not EPA rated? I have a 700 sq, ft cabin and a 1,000 sq. ft model makes more sense than a 15oo sq. ft model doesnt it? My wife wants to get the Englander sfp12 model but I think that is not EPA rated. Can you explain the EPA thing? thanks

Also if we bought a stove for a seasonal cabin, would it still qualify for the tax credit?

BrotherBart said:
robertjp said:
Brother Bart,

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me what a baffle is and where I locate it? I will check it out. Good point. Also funny the 1000 sq. ft Englander was my other choice. Why would they make a stove in 2010 that is not EPA rated? Which of those 2 stoves would you recommend. I dont have alot of choice in my price point and where Im gonna buy it near the Adirondak Mts. Thanks

There is not a track record for this series of "value" stoves that Lowe's seems to have picked up this year. Won't be for a good while until people buy them, burn in them and then show up here to tell us about it. You just may be the guinea pig.

The baffle is in the top of the stove firebox and keeps the gases from going up the chimney before they have a chance to be burned and become heat instead of smoke in your neighbor's nose and creosote on his car.

I am going to start expecting a commission from overstockstoves.com real soon but take a look at their re-branded Englander 13-NC 1,500 sq. ft. EPA stove here.

http://www.overstockstoves.com/50epacenowos.html

If you can use the tax credit available until year end you will get the stove for a net cost of five hundred bucks.

Go, BB !!!

:p

And, no, not yet. I am in conferance with Mike :)

robertjp said:
What difference does it make if the stove is not EPA rated? I have a 700 sq, ft cabin and a 1,000 sq. ft model makes more sense than a 15oo sq. ft model doesnt it? My wife wants to get the Englander sfp12 model but I think that is not EPA rated. Can you explain the EPA thing? thanks

Also if we bought a stove for a seasonal cabin, would it still qualify for the tax credit?

Nope. It has to be for a primary residence. If you are looking for a cabin stove most will do fine for you and last a long time with occasional use. Just do not skimp on the installation. You can get as dead in a fire in a cabin as you can in a mansion.

But the 13-NC is still a better choice over the 12 for any use. And if you can't spend five hundred plus the cost of a safe chimney installation then you need to look at other heating options. Maybe a vented propane heater.

I cringed as I typed that.

robertjp said:

The EPA certified stoves are designed to burn more effeciently and therefore emmit less pollution into the air from the burning wood. They do this by burning off the smoke and gasses in the baffle system and produce more heat in the process so you use less wood. In a non-epa stove the smoke and gasses just go up the chimney and into the air.

robertjp said:

well, you could go this route http://www.overstockstoves.com/50tvl17--epa-certified-noncatalytic-wood-stove--1250171200.html
newest design (is corie's design) 800-1200 sq ft rated , EPA certified. for a small stove it packs quite a punch, i gotta hand it to our young stove designer , the man can make some friggen heat!

That is a nice looking design! Modern but not out of place in a more traditional setting either. Like it!

My only concern about that cute VL-17 is that they haven't published parts prices for the replacement right, left and back vermiculite panels in the firebox.

The VL-17 looks like a nice fit for the smaller home and that it a great price. Good to see it has been promoted to a first class citizen on Englander's main site. I'd love to play with one of these for a winter.

BrotherBart said:
My only concern about that cute VL-17 is that they haven't published parts prices for the replacement right, left and back vermiculite panels in the firebox.

generally with new products like the 17 we do not get replacement parts listed right away not to be deceptive but simply because anything in the stove defective during the first year would be a warranty issue so nobody should have a need to purchase them. our web store guru is currently working on getting the prices and such into the online store since i mentioned this thread to him. i will come back and post pricing on those items shortly

EDIT: individual panels will cost $32.75 plus s/h each. a complete set of the 6 peices in the unit would be $127.65 plus s/h which is less than the individual parts cost.

as for durability they seem to hold up quite well so we believe based on what we are seeing that these panels should last for several years of normal use.

I am a fan of Englander for both their service and product. Used the furnace for my first 2 years of burning. Now I just bought a factory refurbished 30 from Englanders neighbor Andy. I cant wait to get this thing fired up. BrotherBart, I hope I'm not disappointed :mad: After credit it was just over $500, now thats a deal. Good product, Good price, Great service.

My local Lowes (Vestal NY) had a Englander 30 out on display tonight. Must be some are still putting them out.

pen

burn it said:
BrotherBart, I hope I'm not disappointed :mad:

Said it heats my house great. Didn't say you wouldn't screw up running it. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.