1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New stove dealer for Lowes? No more Englander?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by EatenByLimestone, Aug 10, 2010.

1. robertjp

robertjp Member

Loc:
    Western NY
    What difference does it make if the stove is not EPA rated? I have a 700 sq, ft cabin and a 1,000 sq. ft model makes more sense than a 15oo sq. ft model doesnt it? My wife wants to get the Englander sfp12 model but I think that is not EPA rated. Can you explain the EPA thing? thanks

Also if we bought a stove for a seasonal cabin, would it still qualify for the tax credit?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Go, BB !!!

:p

And, no, not yet. I am in conferance with Mike :)
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Nope. It has to be for a primary residence. If you are looking for a cabin stove most will do fine for you and last a long time with occasional use. Just do not skimp on the installation. You can get as dead in a fire in a cabin as you can in a mansion.

But the 13-NC is still a better choice over the 12 for any use. And if you can't spend five hundred plus the cost of a safe chimney installation then you need to look at other heating options. Maybe a vented propane heater.

I cringed as I typed that.
  4. albertj03

albertj03 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine

The EPA certified stoves are designed to burn more effeciently and therefore emmit less pollution into the air from the burning wood. They do this by burning off the smoke and gasses in the baffle system and produce more heat in the process so you use less wood. In a non-epa stove the smoke and gasses just go up the chimney and into the air.
  5. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    well, you could go this route http://www.overstockstoves.com/50tvl17--epa-certified-noncatalytic-wood-stove--1250171200.html
    newest design (is corie's design) 800-1200 sq ft rated , EPA certified. for a small stove it packs quite a punch, i gotta hand it to our young stove designer , the man can make some friggen heat!
  6. tickbitty

tickbitty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    VA
    That is a nice looking design! Modern but not out of place in a more traditional setting either. Like it!
  7. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    My only concern about that cute VL-17 is that they haven't published parts prices for the replacement right, left and back vermiculite panels in the firebox.
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The VL-17 looks like a nice fit for the smaller home and that it a great price. Good to see it has been promoted to a first class citizen on Englander's main site. I'd love to play with one of these for a winter.
  9. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    generally with new products like the 17 we do not get replacement parts listed right away not to be deceptive but simply because anything in the stove defective during the first year would be a warranty issue so nobody should have a need to purchase them. our web store guru is currently working on getting the prices and such into the online store since i mentioned this thread to him. i will come back and post pricing on those items shortly

EDIT: individual panels will cost $32.75 plus s/h each. a complete set of the 6 peices in the unit would be $127.65 plus s/h which is less than the individual parts cost.

as for durability they seem to hold up quite well so we believe based on what we are seeing that these panels should last for several years of normal use.
  10. kevinmerchant

kevinmerchant Member

Loc:
    Cheshire, CT
    I am a fan of Englander for both their service and product. Used the furnace for my first 2 years of burning. Now I just bought a factory refurbished 30 from Englanders neighbor Andy. I cant wait to get this thing fired up. BrotherBart, I hope I'm not disappointed :mad: After credit it was just over $500, now thats a deal. Good product, Good price, Great service.
  11. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    My local Lowes (Vestal NY) had a Englander 30 out on display tonight. Must be some are still putting them out.

pen
  12. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Said it heats my house great. Didn't say you wouldn't screw up running it. :lol: