New Stove Delivered Defective

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

Oct 27, 2016
Arkansas
The new Pacific Energy Super Stove I bought from a local distributor was delivered yesterday and appears to be damaged. :confused:
The stove assembly is out of alignment, the major metal components are cockeyed and several pieces, as a result, are loose and do not fit properly.
I was present for the delivery and there was no accidents that might have caused this.
In fact it was delivered attached to a pallet assembly, which the two delivery men disassembled.

I called the retailer this morning and he asked that I send him more info about the defects I described him, so I made a brief video, which I posted to Google Drive showing the damage.
It can be viewed here:

Not having experience with the construction of these stoves, am wondering if someone can assess how serious the damage is. I have no reason to believe that the retailer will not honor the warranty.

Last edited:
Yeal looks like it was dropped to me, make them replace it. It may be able to be fixed but unless you bought it as a scratch and dent you should not have to deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeal looks like it was dropped to me make them replace it. It may be able to be fixed but unless you bought it as a scratch and dent you should not have to deal with it.

Thanks bholler

Hope you are right and the retailer agrees to replacing it lock and stock.
What do you think Pacific Energy would say if they just want to try and fix it?

What do you think Pacific Energy would say if they just want to try and fix it?
dont know call and ask them

Sounds disappointing. For some reason, I'm sure on my iPads end I can't view the the video?

Hopefully the retailer steps up and makes it right for you.

Here is what Pacific Energy's warranty conditions specify:

For wood products - All installations must be installed according to all applicable local and national codes. It is the responsibility of the installer to ensure the unit is operating correctly at installation.

Any part that shows in our judgment evidence of defect shall be repaired, replaced or refunded at Pacific Energy's option. The defective part may be required to be returned to Pacific Energy or an accredited agent, transportation prepaid.

...This warranty does not apply to any part that shows evidence of misuse, abuse, improper installation, accident or lack of maintenance.

According to this PE could have the retailer repair it (if reparable).
Kind of a rotten outcome, no?

There is no outcome at all yet so it cant be a rotten one. And if it is reparable and it is fixed properly why would that be a problem?

According to this PE could have the retailer repair it (if reparable).

Frustrating for sure. If possible I would send PE some stills of the damage right away and the name of the dealer. Can you tip the stove back to see the underside? If it was dropped maybe there will be some obvious damage.

I could view the video in another browser. Is there any sign of physical damage on the stove as if it were dropped? Any dents anywhere.

The bottom plate that the air control is just under should be held on with two screws/bolts that it fits into with slots from above. you could see from looking underneath. Make certain it's all the way down. This could cause your vertical misalignment from side to side. Also the side plates and the top plate easily remove. the outer shell that looks really loose on the left side and the top has a piece that's about half of the front of the top that is meant to be removed for installation to make hooking up the appliance adapter easier. It looks to me like it's not fully seated or a screw may have come out.

Check your manual for everything I've described. I'd hate to see you get bogged down just because something's misaligned slightly or a screw or two has fallen out in transport or something. Also pulling the covers/plates off will allow you to look further for any physical damage.

I understand you are upset but give them a chance to make it right before getting to bent out of shape. Just make sure you take good pics to document the damage.

There is no outcome at all yet so it cant be a rotten one. And if it is reparable and it is fixed properly why would that be a problem?

FWIW
You get your first stove and there are problems with it even before you get it installed.
Not to mention time delays getting it fixed as well as the difficulty they had getting that 400lb + hunk of metal into my living room yesterday.
Thats a rotten deal to me, maybe not you.

The top plate is alignable for depth too with its mounting bolts. So the offset you see horizontally side to side could be that. Or it could be too from the top piece of the outer 'shell' not being properly seated/secured.

I understand you are upset but give them a chance to make it right before getting to bent out of shape. Just make sure you take good pics to document the damage.

Yeah, you are right. Thanks

In order for the stove to have been dropped/bumps hard enough to mis align everything, there will be physical damage to it somewhere. The outer 'shell' is not very thick.

I did not call attention to it in the video, but there is evidence that it was dropped as the vent flashing for the front air take is bent up on that side, likely indicating that it was dropped.
It sounds like it could be just a matter of re-assembling the stove.
I am sure they can repair it.
That does seem better than the two weeks or so that the retailer said it would take them to get a new PE Summit, which I first considered in our house.

That does seem better than the two weeks or so that the retailer said it would take them to get a new PE Summit, which I first considered in our house.
This is peak season 2 weeks is a pretty normal wait to get a stove at this time.

The damage doe not look to bad and like squisher says the top and bottom are bolted on so as long as they are not bent or cracked they can probably just be realigned. And all of the sheet metal surround can be fixed pretty easily

This is peak season 2 weeks is a pretty normal wait to get a stove at this time.

The damage doe not look to bad and like squisher says the top and bottom are bolted on so as long as they are not bent or cracked they can probably just be realigned. And all of the sheet metal surround can be fixed pretty easily

Hope they will be willing to do it in my living room or better yet, pay me to do it LOL

Hope they will be willing to do it in my living room
I am pretty sure they will there would be no reason to move it out.

T
The new Pacific Energy Super Stove I bought from a local distributor was delivered yesterday and appears to be damaged. :confused:
The stove assembly is out of alignment, the major metal components are cockeyed and several pieces, as a result, are loose and do not fit properly.
I was present for the delivery and there was no accidents that might have caused this.
In fact it was delivered attached to a pallet assembly, which the two delivery men disassembled.

I called the retailer this morning and he asked that I send him more info about the defects I described him, so I made a brief video, which I posted to Google Drive showing the damage.
It can be viewed here:

Not having experience with the construction of these stoves, am wondering if someone can assess how serious the damage is. I have no reason to believe that the retailer will not honor the warranty.

Total bummer ,i would demand a new stove period ,no repair.You definitely can get one ,let's see what PE is about. Good luck to you i'd be furious.

A lot of what I mentioned checking is going to come off to do the install anyways? What I'm getting at is it could be a matter of six to eight bolts and screws to remove to actually check out what's what?

Can you get a picture of the vent flashing you are referring to? I'm just piping in as I have just stripped down for paint a older version of this stove, yesterday. So I'm really familiar with the parts of it right now. And am curious to note any changes vs the brand new one.

also pictures of actual damage will help you get help from the retailer or PE themselves I would think.

Can you get a picture of the vent flashing you are referring to? I'm just piping in as I have just stripped down for paint a older version of this stove, yesterday. So I'm really familiar with the parts of it right now. And am curious to note any changes vs the brand new one.

Squisher,
I am not at home now so cannot take a picture of the bent metal.
But you can see the place in this picture I took off the PE website
Without the "surround" that piece is only about 1/16" and unprotected.

Super.jpg

Yah I see where you mean. Major bummer man. I sure wish you the best in sorting this out. I would feel very disappointed too. But then I'd remind myself that much worse cards then this can be dealt in life.

I hear ya though,always sucks to buy a headache. Kinda takes the glow off of the purchase.

Please keep us up to date on your dealings with the retailer and PE.

If it were mine I would still disassemble it some and get good pics of any physical damage to use as 'evidence'. That bottom piece that you're describing as bent is different than the older one I'm working on, so I'd refer to your manual if you decide to investigate further.

Again. Best of luck with it.

as well as the difficulty they had getting that 400lb + hunk of metal into my living room yesterday.
Sounds like you watched 'em bring it in; Any mishaps there that might have misaligned the jacket?

Total bummer ,i would demand a new stove period ,no repair.
Why if they can just adjust some stuff and possibly replace a piece or two. There may be absolutely no reason to replace the stove.

So far I don't see evidence of a defect. It looks more like damage, possibly by hitting or resting the insert front on the corner. It definitely should be fixed, but the firebox is probably unaffected. Check the air controls before signing off on the repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.