new stove for new season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marreque

Feb 22, 2010
Fall River, Massachusetts
thinking about getting a Vermont Castings Vigilant for the 2010-2011 season. any pros or cons?? or a suggestion for a stove that is equal?

marreque said:
thinking about getting a Vermont Castings Vigilant for the 2010-2011 season. any pros or cons?? or a suggestion for a stove that is equal?

A new Vigilant, as in VC's coal burning stove? Or an old 1977 model?

as in a referb. do u know what the last year they made them? if 1977 then ill reconsider.

Depends on what you're gonna pay for the Vigilant.
You can get a new clean burning stove, take advantage of the 30% tax incentive,
PLUS you'll have the manufacturer's warranty.
IIRC, the Vig is a 50K unit. The Jotul F400 is a 55K unit &
can be had new for about $1200 - AFTER the 30% is figured in.
Your call, but I'd lean towards something new.

marreque said:
We almost got a VC last winter, but from what I found researching, VC has gone down hill in the last decade or so. This is not my opinion at all, but the general consensus I found from retailers, installers, and owners. Many agreed that parts and service were the biggest pains in the arse. Then again, there are many VC lovers on this forum and my uncle loves his VC (it is nice, but about 15 years old). I just saw a red flag go up when I was looking at them. Love my Jotul and not bashing VCs, just stating what I gathered.

Status
Not open for further replies.