new stove, gap around fittings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dp03

Aug 18, 2014
usa
we got a new stove installed today, eco-choice ws22. the problem is with the trim at the ceiling. there is a gap between the pieces of trim going into the attic space. enough that there is light coming through. my wife who was here when they done it asked them about it and got a quick "dont worry that is fine" answer from them.
does it look like the trim is just installed improper or is there other issues?
is there some simple fix i can do, like a certain type of caulk just to fill the gap?
or do they need to come back and fix it?

otherwise, we like the stove, it seems well made but have not fired it yet

any other thoughts are much welcome, thank you folks

new stove, gap around fittings new stove, gap around fittings new stove, gap around fittings

Last edited by a moderator:
i would just caulk it if it were me it is not right but probably not worth making a big deal about it and making them come back out.

is there a certain type of caulk that you would suggest? i thought the same, they are 100+ miles away. but it sucks that they couldnt get the little trim stuff right

There is 500 degree black silicone that is what i would use But we have it in the truck all the time regular silicone might work if you cant find black high temp

Sure would be good to see a shot of that pipe install from the attic. If they left that, what else is up top? Like if they installed the insulation shield then that light shouldn't be able to show like that.

Very true bb that is a minor thing but it shows a lack of attention to detail. they should aslo have put the insulation back tight the outside of that box so that should keep light out also but it should still be sealed so you don't have an air leak

Is there a window in the attic? What is the source of light? I agree that a shot of the top side of this installation would be helpful. Can you post a shot of the install in the attic?

Yep.

What was maybe "don't worry it is fine" at the roof penetration?

yes there is a window in the attic a few feet from the pipe and that's where the light is coming from. i will go up there tomorrow and check things out and take more pics, and pics of where it goes through the roof

That gap is normal. That box has a little bit of deflection in it. This is because a few inches above that trim it has screws through it that hold the box in place. It's a perfectly normal and exceptable to have this tiny gap with a Dura-Tech chimney system. A small bead of black silicone will fix it. No need for high temp ether.

Status
Not open for further replies.