new stove going in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrendfrey

Jan 15, 2012
green mtns vt
hey guys im going to be installing a fireview were my fireplace is this summer and was looking to get some opinions. my fireplace is fieldstone and the hearth extends about 16 inches from the doors. it has glass doors on it that have to come out. my question is do you think it would be better to have the fireplace sitting on the hearth that is there out make one the extends way out from the doors so that the stove isnt sitting inside the fireplace? i am leaning towards extending it and there another question what will i need to put down on the floor to make it safe for a woodstove. 1 layer of concrete board then tile or what i will be starting this project in a couple weeks when i get the stove so any input will be greatly appreciated. i will have some pics coming up in the next few days. thanks agian guys. lol sorry but i am buying my fireview second hand do u think i should by a new catalyst right off or wait?

hey guys im going to be installing a fireview were my fireplace is this summer and was looking to get some opinions. my fireplace is fieldstone and the hearth extends about 16 inches from the doors. it has glass doors on it that have to come out. my question is do you think it would be better to have the fireplace sitting on the hearth that is there out make one the extends way out from the doors so that the stove isnt sitting inside the fireplace? i am leaning towards extending it and there another question what will i need to put down on the floor to make it safe for a woodstove. 1 layer of concrete board then tile or what i will be starting this project in a couple weeks when i get the stove so any input will be greatly appreciated. i will have some pics coming up in the next few days. thanks agian guys. lol sorry but i am buying my fireview second hand do u think i should by a new catalyst right off or wait?

Hello
Check the stove installation manual. Usually there is a requirement of at least 6 inches of hearth in front of the stove for safe loading.

Here is a good article of fire place stove installation that shows clearance.
http://www.woodstove.com/pages/pdffiles/Fireplace9_Layout 1.pdf

If you do not have the manual for the stove, you may be able to find it on line if you have the model number.
See Elmira StoveWorks
http://www.elmirastoveworks.com/woodstove.aspx

Please put the stove and model # in your signature so we will know what model you are asking about. This will help us alot.

See Anatomy of a Fireplace below.
Most fireplaces provide a natural setting for a new stove,
allowing for use of the existing chimney. Both for safety
and optimum performance of the stove, a stainless steel
liner should be installed up through the chimney from the
stove’s flue collar to the chimney top.

Attachments

• AnatomyOfFireplace1.jpg
    AnatomyOfFireplace1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 167
The Fireview is a side loader so more than likely you will need to place the stove out most of the way to be able to load it. That stove also needs only 8" clearance out front horizontally or vertically so if you have an 8" raised hearth you could bring it all the way to the front edge. It may still be a good idea to extend your hearth with some tile or something just for a little more protection against flying sparks during reloads.
As far as the cat goes find out how old it is and how much wood was burned through it. If its cracked and falling apart replace it, if not give it a try and have a replacement on standby.

+1. If you can post a picture or two of the current setup we may be able to make some suggestions for the hearth extension. How far away is the closest wood work or mantel?

I agree that a pic or two would be helpful but in general, you'll be happier with the Fireview out in front of the fireplace rather than tucked inside if only because there are controls on the back of the stove that you need to access, but you'll also get better heat circulation. Also, the top lid lifts for easy access to clean the cat. Unless you have a very tall lintel, you won't be able to do that. 1/2" cementboard and tile will be fine as long as you meet the floor protection clearances.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Seeing that I have officially lit my first fire I'll add my 2 cents, call the stove company, they'll be able to tell you exactly what you need.
For the hearth I built I used 1/4" slate on top of 1/2" cement board, on top of 3/4" plywood but I was building a hearth from scratch that just sits on my floor and can be removed...

Seeing that I have officially lit my first fire I'll add my 2 cents, call the stove company, they'll be able to tell you exactly what you need.
For the hearth I built I used 1/4" slate on top of 1/2" cement board, on top of 3/4" plywood but I was building a hearth from scratch that just sits on my floor and can be removed...

Did you have any trouble with the slate squares being uneven or different thickneses? I did and returned them and went with porcelan tile. However I really liked the color of the slate tiles. :-(

Did you have any trouble with the slate squares being uneven or different thickneses? I did and returned them and went with porcelan tile. However I really liked the color of the slate tiles. :-(
Not really, I didn't even do anything about it and it turned out to be level, go figure...
They were very irregular, I bought about 10 more than I needed and picked the ones I liked the best and returned the rest.
Here's how it turned out:
2012-05-23 19.49.43.jpg
I've never built anything before, let alone design, build, and tile something, a first for all of it so I'm pretty proud of my little hearth!
The tiles under the stove were level (by sheer luck) so all is well!

Congratulations on the new stove. For sure you can work with Woodstock and you can also find the manual at their website. And as pointed out, you need the stove a bit out to be able to load the stove, operate the draft control and also for raising the top lid. This is a used stove and I would recommend buying a new cat which you can get from Woodstock. Then be sure you know how to properly operate the bypass and when to open and close it. If you are not sure, ask here and we'll help or ask Woodstock.

well going to be getting the stove on the 16th of june cant wait on the way home stopping by home depot to get some materials for extending the hearth that is existing. i tried to post a picture of the fireplace but it says the file is too large to upload if anyone can help me there that would be great so i can show you were its going. also does anyone have any knowledge of chaning the cat in a fireview? i will change it out with a new one before we start burning.

The Fireview cat is housed inside a two piece cast iron frame held together with two bolts. If you buy a replacement cat get it from Woodstock it's cheaper and also comes wrapped in the required gasket. Replacement is simple, just remove the two bolts from the frame, take it apart to remove the old cat, install the new cat and bolt back together. Takes maybe 5 minutes.Woodstock will also send you complete instructions.

Do you know which model Fireview your getting, 201 or 205? The 201 is the earlier model built before 1997 and is a little different than the 205. Basically the 201 is a Woodstock Classic with a front window.

can anyone point me in the right direction to post a picture the computer keeps telling me that the file is too large to post. i want to show you guys my hearth fireplace were the stove is going. thanks for the help!!

i would like to take the fireplace out and extend the hearth to 18 inches all the way around the stove run the liner through tthe existing flue. any ideas on how to remove the fireplace?? its a metal encloser with glass doors. getting excited leaving saturday to get the fireview wooo!!

i would like to take the fireplace out and extend the hearth to 18 inches all the way around the stove run the liner through tthe existing flue. any ideas on how to remove the fireplace?? its a metal encloser with glass doors. getting excited leaving saturday to get the fireview wooo!!

Does the metal enclosure extend further in or is it just around the glass doors? How is it attached? From the pictures it just looks like doors in a metal frame, and ripping it out shouldn't be a problem; likely some cosmetic work after will be most of what's needed, and you'll be extending the hearth anyway and need to do some.

Status
Not open for further replies.