New Stove Has Arrived

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ishamael69

Dec 31, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
My new 74ZC is finally here! It is sitting in my alcove right now. The installer will be back around 9 tomorrow to finish up. Just in time too!

I bought some klin dried wood from the local big box, 3 .75 cf packs of splits. That should give me enough to cure and test out at least, right? The installer gave me some tips on who he has seen with the driest wood. We'll try calling tomorrow. SuperCedar samples on the way: thanks, Thomas! Got everything for my toolless firewood rack, including a tarp on clearance. I think we are ready. Anything I'm missing? Do I need fireplace tools immediately?

I'm also eyeballing the Homelite 5 ton splitter, and watching CL for a Stihl or Husky to replace my Poulan Pro, so I can enjoy getting my stash going...

That stove should keep you nice and warm. Congrats!

Welcome to the forum. Yes, you pretty much need some fireplace tools pretty quick. At the very least you need some sort of poker to move logs around and since you probably don't have an ash pan you will need a shovel to remove the ashes from the firebox. You will also need a metal ash can to store the ashes outside away from combustibles. I have a couple of metal five gallon buckets with metal lids that I use. This lets me always have an open bucket and know that my full bucket will be well burned out of any embers before I dump it. I would also recommend a good pair of hearth gloves for loading the stove. At the very least you should have pair of heavy duty leather work gloves for this, but actual hearth gloves give more protection to your forearms. Good luck with your wood burning adventure!

welcome.......good luck with your insert. I had a buck insert years and years ago. loved it. now, different place, different stoves and all free standing (I prefer them to inserts now). just a thought about "fireplace tools"........having used both fireplace and stove sets, I prefer the shorter utensils specifically designed for wood stoves vs. fireplaces. much easier to wield the shovel and poker with a short handle than a long one.........jmho. another investment you might look at are gloves. often they can go overlooked. you can normally pick some up at your local hardware store. some folks use welders gloves, I have some stove gloves that are like gauntlet gloves and cover a portion of the forearm. i use them for my smaller stove and another pair that go almost to the elbow i use for the deeper wood box on the summit. if you don't wear something, eventually the stove will bite you and you'll carry the brand on your forearm......so, get some gloves too.

Congrats still waiting on my new replacement stove currently shipping and still need to order my liner :(

Status
Not open for further replies.