New Stove/Hearth installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ151

Jan 17, 2009
Poulsbo, WA
I just finished having the PE Super insert installed Neat thing is the top and shelf are now cast iron. The stove company said they are brand new and they just started getting them in the last two weeks or so. They didn't know there was a change until they opened one for an installation. Finished the hearth last week, extended to 24". Next the mantle and then we are all done.

Attachments

• New Stove.jpg
    New Stove.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 300
Thank you. I spent a lot of time reading and researching which insert to go with. PE seemed like the best choice (for me anyway).

You're going to love that insert on those cold, damp northwest evenings. Nice job.

Congratulations! It looks great there. I like the brushed nickel door. Thanks for posting about the changes. I'm wondering if this means there will be an Alderlea T6 insert coming in the future?

I'm debating installing either a Clydesdale or a Vermont Castings Montpelier wood burning insert into my existing fireplace. My house is approximately 3500sf and the fireplace is centrally located in the middle of the house, interior masonry chimney, on the main level. While the Clydesdale is rated at a significantly higher btu/hour, I'm afraid that by running it effectively, I'll overheat the family room. I do have a high efficiency kerosene forced air system, which I can run the fan to help circulate the air (I have two cold air returns in the family room) and every room has a ceiling fan. Knowing that everyone has an opinion, I'm interested in the pros/cons of each for providing supplemental heat to my house. I don't want the three upstairs kids bedrooms to be cold (the master is on the main level on the other side of the family room).

Thanks.

We'd need a better understanding of the floorplan to be sure, but if the floor plan is relatively open to the stove room, this should not be a problem. Tell us a bit more about the area where the insert would be located and the general floorplan or post a picture of it.

Open floor plan; no hallways, 9' ceilings, breakfast area/kitchen at opposite end of family room via a large arched doorway; off the middle of the family room is another arched doorway (no door) that leads to the foyer (two story vaulted foyer); directly behind the masonry chimney (enclosed in dry wall), is a 400sf master br. The house is essentially a cape cod style, large open floor plan, high ceilings, loads of large anderson double hung windows. I think I will install a ThruWall transfer fan between the family room and the master bedroom to move some heat into that room. I'm also considering a transfer fan to the kitchen as well.

I've got a fire going in the fireplace now - raised the temperature in the family room from 68 to 71 degrees, although I burned through a good bit of wood. With only the ceiling fan to move air, the kitchen is 68 degrees, but then again, I haven't had the furnace for the past four hours.

Cheers

I am by no means an expert, and I can't speak to the stoves you are talking about. If i had that much area and the floor plan you are describing i would run a PE Summit, but I am partial to the PE brand. The large fire boxes will serve you best I imagine. Let us know what stove you end up with.

byteme said:
Open floor plan; no hallways, 9' ceilings, breakfast area/kitchen at opposite end of family room via a large arched doorway; off the middle of the family room is another arched doorway (no door) that leads to the foyer (two story vaulted foyer); directly behind the masonry chimney (enclosed in dry wall), is a 400sf master br. The house is essentially a cape cod style, large open floor plan, high ceilings, loads of large anderson double hung windows. I think I will install a ThruWall transfer fan between the family room and the master bedroom to move some heat into that room. I'm also considering a transfer fan to the kitchen as well.

I've got a fire going in the fireplace now - raised the temperature in the family room from 68 to 71 degrees, although I burned through a good bit of wood. With only the ceiling fan to move air, the kitchen is 68 degrees, but then again, I haven't had the furnace for the past four hours.

Cheers

It sounds like you'll be fine with a big insert (assuming it fits in the fireplace). Remember, in milder weather you don't fill the firebox. A few splits will last the evening. When it gets cold the stove can be loaded up for a nice long burn.

If you have more questions, start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.